Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dropped Seagate external hard disk, cannot initiate and load anymore

• Please log in to reply

talkingtree

talkingtree

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Hi,

I have dropped an Seagate external hard disk, now it doesnt load anymore. The following are diagnosed, the device is "not initialize" and "unallocated", the disk seems to be there under diskpart "Disk 1". Do I need to physically remove the disk and transfer to a new device?

-Disk management

disk management.png

-Command->Diskpart

cmd.png

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

talkingtree,

Bit confused, did this drive have anything on it before you dropped it, because it looks to me like it was reformatted, being unllocated ? Being recognized as we see in your post, that's what i believe you are saying it is not being recogized.

Belive for Disk 1, first need to initialize it,http://www.overclock...-use-in-windows   , then need to make New Simple Volume again, give it a drive letter. As said maybe i am misunderstading what was wrote. Are you unable to initialize ?

What model Seagate ? Most are sealed in a casing. Not sure what you mean removing it from it.

Edited by jds63, 08 April 2015 - 03:19 PM.

talkingtree

talkingtree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Thanks for the reply

"Bit confused, did this drive have anything on it before you dropped it, because it looks to me like it was reformatted, being unllocated ?"

Yes, it had files inside, and I would like to retrieve those. I did not reformat it since I would like to obtain those files

"Are you unable to initialize ?"

Cannot

"Not sure what you mean removing it from it."

Maybe, the hardware itself is physically damaged while the disk with info is still available, thus transferring the disk to another drive to retrieve the information

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Not familiar with software to recover corrupted or lost files, take a look at this site, good brand software and free, can try it. From looking at diskpart and disk management showing drive it empty, probably from damage of being dropped.

http://www.easeus.co...ry-software.htm

http://www.easeus.co...ry-freeware.htm

If can not access the drive going to be hard to transfer the contents and possibly recover from.

Not all do this, but when i setup my PC inside it i have one HD drive designated for Data  only and then i also have an additional USB HDD for that same data backed up again.

So if one fails, always good have more then one backup i learned. Use a thumb drive to do this as second backup in future.

Edited by jds63, 08 April 2015 - 08:46 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts

It is likely that something was damaged or moved. Don't do anything to try to recover the data until you are sure that it is working. You might want to make sure that all of the connectors are on. If that does not work, try connecting the drive directly or using another external case.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

It is likely that something was damaged or moved. Don't do anything to try to recover the data until you are sure that it is working. You might want to make sure that all of the connectors are on. If that does not work, try connecting the drive directly or using another external case.

Would of also been good to know model of Seagate too.

talkingtree

talkingtree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Oh yes, the model number is ST315005EXM101-RK. I've tried using the methods suggested above, but I cannot connect to the hard drive though

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Why don't you give this a try, use Seatools to check the drive  http://www.seagate.c...ols-win-master/

As these drives need power to run, however suggested by other person going to need power besides connecting it to PC. Not sure how they are made being the same as any other hard drive being an external in a closed casing.

Usually needs a power connection to your PC Power supply plus a Sata connection to your motherboard.https://www.youtube....h?v=kCgFYNLzn18

talkingtree

talkingtree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Hmmm, just tried using EaseUS recovery system, and cannot retrieve anything, probably a hardware problem now

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Why don't you give this a try, use Seatools to check the drive  http://www.seagate.c...ols-win-master/

As these drives need power to run, however suggested by other person going to need power besides connecting it to PC. Not sure how they are made being the same as any other hard drive being an external in a closed casing.

Usually needs a power connection to your PC Power supply plus a Sata connection to your motherboard.https://www.youtube....h?v=kCgFYNLzn18

Try this on drive, see if shows it is bad or not. Hopefully had a second backup of this drive or it's contents were not too important. Had one of these drives, was dead on arrival. Liked WD Externals better.

Edited by jds63, 13 April 2015 - 03:39 PM.

Advertisements

eclipsebluex

eclipsebluex

• Pip
  • 3 posts

The hard drive died , or has some flaw in the motherboard or write disk sector. The average lifespan of a disc is 5 years, you have 2 hard copy for security.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts

Did you try directly connecting the drive?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Oh yes, the model number is ST315005EXM101-RK. I've tried using the methods suggested above, but I cannot connect to the hard drive though

This answers that question

Did you try directly connecting the drive?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

The hard drive died , or has some flaw in the motherboard or write disk sector. The average lifespan of a disc is 5 years, you have 2 hard copy for security.

Yes after dropping it, it may well be dead. Shows correctly in disk management except unallocated, so it is being recognized. Flaw in motherboard, well, feel unless USB port was bad, what other flaw we speaking about, as other drives on system are working.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts

How did you try directly connecting it? Did you get another external case? Did you pull the hard drive out of the current case and put it into another case? The part number you gave was for the external cased drive, not the actual hard drive in the case.