Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM Beep Error - pc not switching on

DRAM Beep Codes ABIT AN8 SLI FATAL1TY PC not starting Virtual memory RAM 1 long (continuous) beep

Best Answer phillpower2 , 14 April 2015 - 06:02 AM

Hello infinity124, Yes I am still using the same PSU because they tested it and it turned out to be working fine.  As I said in your previous thread there is no conclusive test... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

infinity124

infinity124

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi all,

Before declaring that my PC is dead and go on with buying new components I was wondering whether I could do some tests before deciding.

Basically a month or so ago I installed a new CPU Heatsink and 2 new RAM sticks. Everything was working in order until yesterday when the bios was giving a two-tone siren beep code (which for my mobo means either overheating or DRAM voltage error.

I removed the CPU heatsink and installed it again with new thermal paste so that I know for certain that it is installed correctly.

When this was done and I went to switch on the PC it was then giving me a new beep code (1 long and continuous) which for my mobo means incorrectly installed RAM.

I removed all RAMs and tried them one by one on each of the 4 slots I have and the same code kept on repeating itself.

Lastly I tried to start the BIOS on default mode and the pc switched on but nothing showed up on screen (not even a beep). When I put the jumper back in normal mode the PC starts and the same long and continuous beep sounds off.

In short I now have the long and continuous beep code and don't know what it could be. I tried 8 different RAM Modules on each of the 4 slots on my mobo and still the same error.

Could it be that all my RAM slots on the mobo have died or something? Is there something I can do to fix this? I will be giving the PC to a technician in a couple of weeks time but was wondering whether I can do anything to fix this because he will probably tell me I need a new one so that I buy it from him.

I thank you for reading this and looking forward for your advice.

Motherboard is Abit AN8 SLI and the manual can be found here: http://www.manualsli...it-An8-Sli.html

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

Hello infinity124,

Depending on the brand of BIOS that the MB has the beep code/s explanations may vary, the following are examples only;

Two-tone siren = Low CPU Fan speed or Voltage Level issue

Continuous beep = No power, a loose card or a system short.

Are you still using the same PSU as in the thread here

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi phillpower,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am still using the same PSU because they tested it and it turned out to be working fine.

The BIOS is pheonix and as stated the corresponding beep code means incorrectly inserted RAM. I gave the PC to technicians and he tried removing some modules as I did but to no avail. He also tried resetting BIOS removing the battery but it still gave the same outcome.

I wrote here to ask whether there was something particular which could be done before deciding that the motherboard's memory slots are not working anymore.

Thanks for your time !

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello infinity124,

Yes I am still using the same PSU because they tested it and it turned out to be working fine.

As I said in your previous thread there is no conclusive test that you can do without the proper PSU testing equipment, simply fitting a PSU into another computer is not an adequate test as any one of the rails can work fine one minute but not the next, you may also recall what I said about the "power good signal"

One long and then one short error beep suggests a problem with the MB, this could be a faulty memory slot or as you are having start up issue the "power good signal" which apart from being MB related it could also be the PSU not working correctly or a faulty power on button on your case, if you read the information at the power good link below you will note that it mentions that "el cheapo" PSUs are prone to causing problems with the power good signal.

Power good signal information.

Can I ask where you got the Phoenix error beep information from as I cannot find the beep codes that you are getting;

Phoenix BEEP Codes:

• 1-1-3 
Explanation: Your computer can't read the configuration information stored in the CMOS. 
Diagnosis: Replace the motherboard.

• 1-1-4
Explanation: Your BIOS needs to be replaced.
Diagnosis: Got to your motherboard manufacturers web site and download the new Bios.

• 1-2-1
Explanation: You have a bad timer chip on the motherboard.

• 1-2-2 or 1-2-3 or 1-3-1 or 1-3-3 or 1-3-4 or 1-4-1 
Explanation: Motherboards is bad.

• 1-4-2
Explanation: Some of your memory is bad.
Diagnosis: Go to Basic Trouble Shooting

• 1-3-1
Explanation: Motherboards is bad.

• 2-_-_ Any combination of beeps after two
Explanation: Some of your memory might be bad.
Diagnosis: Go to Basic Trouble Shooting

• 3-1-_
Explanation: One of the chips on your motherboard is broken.

• 3-2-4
Explanation: Keyboard controller failure.
Diagnosis:

• 3-3-4
Explanation: Your computer can't find the video card.
Diagnosis: Is it there? If so, try swapping it with another one and see if it works.

• 3-4-_
Explanation: Your video card isn't working.
Diagnosis: Replace Video Card

I wrote here to ask whether there was something particular which could be done before deciding that the motherboard's memory slots are not working anymore.

Testing the Ram in another MB to see if it works ok and trying a known good PSU with your Ram and MB to see if the computer will boot.

You are welcome btw  :)

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

This is the link to the bios code errors: http://www.overclock...BIOS-BEEP-CODES

You are right about the PSU, however, last time I bought a new GFX Card and everything was running smoothly without any errors whatsoever so I assumed that nothing was wrong with the PSU.

It is most probable that the MB is bad however I wish to try everything before buying a new setup.

Testing the Ram in another MB to see if it works ok and trying a known good PSU with your Ram and MB to see if the computer will boot.

Thanks for these tips, I will definitely try them out when I get the chance.

:)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

The BIOS at your link is Award and not Phoenix, which is correct for your MB please.

Those basic tests will help determine if the MB is bad.

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I picked up the computer and they told me that the Motherboard is not working properly.

They tested it alone with their own components and it seems to have a fault.

Against my wishes, now I have to start browsing for a new setup.

Thanks again for your time phillpower :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

Sorry to hear that the board is bad infinity124  :(

Let us know if we can help with putting a parts list together for you  :thumbsup:

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I appreciate the help.

I am currently deciding whether to buy a New & unused similar motherboard (old socket 939) just to replace the faulty one, or else buy a complete new setup.

What do you suggest? :) (irrelevant if PC is for gaming or whether I have time etc)

A new & unused old version motherboard would cost me about $110 / €100 / £72 while a new setup will cost me an approximate $1,600 / €1,500 / £1,070

PS: When deciding components I should open a new thread in the other section right?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you infinity124  :(

I am currently deciding whether to buy a New & unused similar motherboard (old socket 939) just to replace the faulty one, or else buy a complete new setup.

What do you suggest?  :) (irrelevant if PC is for gaming or whether I have time etc)

Tough question to answer due to the cost of both options, the cost of a new socket 939 MB is high but nothing in comparison to the cost of a whole new build, it really depends on what you would prefer.

An alternative suggestion would be to purchase a used version of the same MB if one can be found, this would reduce the cost, ensure compatibility with your present hardware + avoid any potential licensing problem that may arise by using a different brand of MB to that which Windows was originally installed with, the latter only if the licence is the OEM type as opposed to the full retail type. 

PS: When deciding components I should open a new thread in the other section right?

That is correct  :thumbsup:

NB: Before you potentially purchase any new or used MB can I ask what the person/s that tested the original board identified the problem as and did they give the CPU, Ram and video card a clean bill of health.

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi phillpower,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my delay also.

Yes they tested every component separately and the memory slots of the mobo are the fault.

I decided to buy a completely new rig, reason being as I didn't want to keep on forking out money for an old system.

I will be posting a thread on the other section and will appreciate your feedback as always :)

Many thanks 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

Thanks for concluding your thread infinity124, posting the outcome although not favourable on your behalf may help others looking for help with the same or a similar issue/s  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw and I have duly replied to your build thread  :)