Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc turning off spontaneously

Best Answer GeorgeJones , 14 April 2015 - 02:54 PM

Good deal, the vacant header says "pwr fn" being 3 pin & the cpu fn header is 4 pin as stated earlier, which is now a non pwm fan. I will see about adding the exhaust fan & upgrading the cp... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello folks  :)

Some good work done George but as mentioned by JD air lines are not best suited to clean electrical equipment, apart from them being too harsh there is also a risk of moisture being emitted from the hose.

The temps do look a lot better now and by fitting an appropriate quality rear exhaust fan you will be able to drop the temps even further.

Suggestions include:

1: Check the the BIOS to see if the MBs thermal shut down setting has been disabled.

2: Check the MB for either 3 or 4 pin fan headers.

3: Post back with an update.

To help with controlling fan speeds as also suggested by JD see guide here 

Please note that not all fan speeds can be manually controlled using Speedfan or any other software, typical examples are 3 pin type fans, CPU cooling fans that are controlled by the MBs BIOS settings and the internal fan of a PSU.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

You know i saw no PWM info in HWMonitor at all, probably no PWM Fan on CPU or a 4 pin connector on motherboard if i am correct on what i saw.

GeorgeJones

GeorgeJones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

The bios evidently has no option for thermal shutdown, unless I'm not recognizing the wording for it? It does show fan speed (auto) & the volts ,,,..
I may need some help here to make certain..

The cpu fan, has 3 wires with a 3 pin clip (though the header its hooked to has 4 pins) leaving 1 of the pins exposed.
There is another header (I presume it might be a header for a fan, but not sure) it is a 3 pin header, but I need to know for sure if that is for a fan to clip too, in order to safely add an exhaust fan.

Thank you Both..

Edited by GeorgeJones, 13 April 2015 - 11:15 AM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Tried searching online for more information on your motherboard, not much luck at all. Also did find your manual but showed no references to the BIOS. Be hard for me to see what you see where to look.

Looked here  http://www.fic.com.t...ct/default.aspx   This is your motherboard and model  First International Computer, Inc. K2MCP61V

Since i can not even locate a manual for the board or a picture to go by.

Usually 4 pin connector on motherboard is for PWM fans,  Pulse Width Modulation PWM fans can automatically adjust the fans RPM's depending on the temperature of the CPU or even if used as a case fan, controlled by the motherboard. 3 pin are not PWM.

So if you see a 4 pin connector it should be PWM. One near the CPU Heatsink would be marked CPU_Fan take a close look at the board from inside as other fan headers will be marked sys_fan1, so on sys_fan2. Since you see only 3 pin headers this is o.k. for a case fan. I myself would replace the CPU Fan to a PWM 4 Pin, this is up to you.

If want to buy a case fan measure the back opening, sometimes either 80mm on the older ones or 90mm. From pictures i found looks like those sizes. As the non PWM will have a 3 pin connector.

Edited by jds63, 13 April 2015 - 03:07 PM.

GeorgeJones

GeorgeJones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
✓  Best Answer

Good deal, the vacant header says "pwr fn" being 3 pin & the cpu fn header is 4 pin as stated earlier, which is now a non pwm fan. I will see about adding the exhaust fan & upgrading the cpu fan to a 4 pin.This should further help resolve any overheating at best..

Thank you for all your help, I appreciate it... Thanks.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Yes, 3 pin header is a non PWM fan, meaning wehn used will not regulate speeds (rpm) as temps increase or decrease from CPU or Motherboard. CPU 4 pin connector will do this.

Fan are not to expensive if need help picking out one let me know. Make sure to measure the back of case for proper size, same with CPU fan. Measure them vertically ot horizontally. Most likely 80mm on both.

Your temps have been better, time will only tell if there is no more issues with any hardware.

Your are most welcome, again!!