Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd/cd problem (software related I think)

• Please log in to reply

G-bo

G-bo

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Hi Folks,

I have a friends lenovo t500 thinkpad here and the dvd drive will not eject by itself and not recognize dvd's.

Couple things I noticed that I thought were unusual is the device manager says the drive is working properly

and also the drive letter is "E" not "D".

The main and only harddrive is "C".Don't know if this means anything but worth mentioning maybe.

There is also a smart card in the laptop and the little icon in the tasbar used to safely eject it has it listed there

but it also lists the dvd drive which I have never seen before.Would appreciate anything you could tell me.

Thank You.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Hello G-bo,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

hi Plillpower2,

thanks for the reply.Here is the url:http://speccy.pirifo...O6M6EriNAPl2x76

the laptop is not on the internet so I hooked it up to my internet connection,ran speccy and copied the url to a flash drive and copied it to the computer I'm

using to talk to you.Hope that works ok.Any problem let me know.thanks,cheers.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Hello G-bo,

From the Speccy info the first thing that I noticed was the XP installation date;

254.pngOperating System

Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3

Computer type: Notebook

Installation Date: 4/5/2015 12:10:30 PM

With the above in mind can I ask if the MBs drivers and other Lenovo utilities and software have been installed since the fresh installation of XP and have these two issues only occurred since the fresh install of XP.

You are welcome btw  :)

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

hi phillpower2,

I noticed this first when I tried to re-foemat using the optical drive and could not so I had to make a bootable usb flash drive instead and do it that way.

So was like that when he sent it to me I guess.I have spent a lot of time getting all the proper drivers.However device manager still has 2 caution signs and I cannot resolve these drivers,they are under "other devices" and called "base system devices".their hardware id's are

1)pci\ven_1180&dev_0843&subsys_20c917aa&rev_11

2)pci\ven_1180&dev_0852&subsys_20cb17aa&rev_11

Let me know if you need me to send you anyting else,thanks again,cheers.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Hello G-bo,

I have a friends lenovo t500 thinkpad here and the dvd drive will not eject by itself and not recognize dvd's.
Couple things I noticed that I thought were unusual is the device manager says the drive is working properly
and also the drive letter is "E" not "D".

device manager still has 2 caution signs and I cannot resolve these drivers,they are under "other devices" and called "base system devices".their hardware id's are
1)pci\ven_1180&dev_0843&subsys_20c917aa&rev_11
2)pci\ven_1180&dev_0852&subsys_20cb17aa&rev_11

The two are not related, you will note that NOs 1 and 2 refer to PCI devices which are for card reader/s see here  when you installed the system drivers did you install the chipset drivers first.

Can I ask if you have tried different types of DVD disks as in burned and retail types such as games and or videos,

Check out the following canned suggestions provided courtesy of Broni;

One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run  http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thanks to Broni for the above instructions  :thumbsup:

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Hi Phillpower2,

Well to be honest I can't remember if I installed the chipset driver first or not.Seems to me I may not have but can't be sure.

I have tried all kinds of dvd's retail and burned,cd's too with no luck.I use a pin to open the drive,have also removed the drive a few times

and put back in,no go there either.

Have to go out for a few hours but will try all your suggestions as soon as I get back and let you know what happens.

Thanks man,talk to ya soon,cheers.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Hello G-bo,

Unfortunately brand name computers can be fussy about the order that drivers are installed but at the same time there is nothing to suggest that they were not.

It has nothing to do with the drive tray not operating but what happens if you insert a shop purchased music CD, is the media on it detected.

As an asides,Speccy lists all of the functions that the optical drive is supposed to be capable which means that the drive is indeed installed.

We will wait for your update with fingers crossed and you are welcome btw  :)

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Hi Phillpower2,

well took awhile but went through all your suggestions (some of them a couple times :)).Uninstalling the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers done something cause the drive letter for the optical drive changed to  "D" from "E" .Unfortunately no change in the way it's behaving.

I have tried shop purchased dvd's and cd's and neither one shows up when I click on my computer and right click on the "D" drive.Tried different ways like inserting the disk and restarting the computer but still the same.Don't know if it means anything but I've right clicked the drive when there was a disk in it and it would not eject.The green led light for the dvd is on tho.

Dunno could the dvd drive is toast?I will contact my buddy and ask him if he uses the dvd drive.It's possable he can live without it.

It was dead before I got it so maybe he will be cool with it being useable except for the dvd.

thanks for the suggestions.If you have anything else you want me to try just let me know.Cheers.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Hello G-bo,

The drive not ejecting when right clicked on does suggest that the drive is broken but can I just make sure that it is a clickable option and is not greyed out.

The drive not reading any type of disk could point towards internal lasers being bad, unfortunately they do not last forever and are not user repairable.

I only have three other suggestions I'm afraid;

1: Connect the computer to your internet connection again and see if DriverMax recommends any specific driver updates for the chipset or optical drive, see below;

Run DriverMax to see if any driver updates are suggested.

Please note that you are only allowed to download two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the “install AVG toolbar” option box.

Remember to always create a new restore point before updating any drivers.

2: Try VLC media player for Windows which you can download and install from zip here

3: Remove the drive to see if it has the exact brand name and model number on it, if it does let us know and we can look for a firmware update for it.

NB: I did mean to ask this earlier, can you tell us how the bootable media was created please.

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Hi Phillpower2,

the eject option is not greyed out.

The dvd drive model is hitachi GU1ON and it doesn't say model number but I think this is it MEZ61886901.

S/N B9KRHV1076499.

Ihave vlc installed and can play music and videos stored on the hard drive but nothing from the optical.

The bootable usb was actually done by a friend of mine,says he used a program called "WinTo Flash".

I will have to get back to you a little later today when I get a chance to check "drivemax".

Thanks Phillpower2 ,will talk to ya soon,Cheers.

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Hi Phillpower2,

I have ran Drivermax and it dected quite a few outdated drivers but nothing for the dvd drive.Mostly card reader stuff and networking.

I did find 2 that may be relevent and installed them.Still no change in the drive tho.The drivers were:

1)INTEL® ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller

2)Mobile Intel® 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port-2A41

Have spoken to my buddy and he's not too concerned about the optical drive.Think he is just glad to have if re-formatted and working again

for e-mail and internet browsing.

Thanks a lot for all your help,If you have anything else up your sleeve you want me to try just let me know,if not...no biggie.

thanks again ...Cheers.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Hello G-bo,

Doesn't look good for the drive itself  :(  last throw of the dice I'm afraid is trying a firmware update (GU10N LG-Hitachi)  firmware update 

If everything else is working ok I would leave as is, newer drivers are not always best.

RE WinToFlash, this would be ok to use if the version of Windows that was extracted was specific to the Lenovo T500, if it wasn`t it would explain the missing drivers.

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Hi Phillpower2,

well tried the firmware update and it was a no go so I think we'll call this dvd deceased.

Hey listen thanks for all the help I appreciate it very much.Couldn't have done it without ya.

Take care Phillpower2,talk to ya later,Cheers.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Hello G-bo,

I would have to agree I'm afraid as you have done all that you can  :thumbsup:

You are most welcome btw, just sorry that we could not get the optical drive to work  :(