Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 installation

• Please log in to reply

Pufi

Pufi

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Hi everyone!

So I have a Windows 7 32 bit system and I want to make a bootable USB with Windows 7 64-bit.

So since I cannot open the 64-bit bootsect, will the installation work if I use the 32-bit bootsect on the flash drive?

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi again Pufi :)

I can help you create a bootable USB with the Windows 7 64-bits installation .iso. How big is the USB that you have? Where did you get the Windows 7 64-bits USB from and what tool did you use to create the USB so far?

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Ok so my USB is an 8 GB one and I used Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to make the USB bootable, but it says that the bootsect.exe is not compatible with my PC, because it is the 64-bit version.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Use YUMI instead, it works way better. I find the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to have a high ratio of failure when creating the USB, while YUMI have close to none. Download and execute YUMI from the link below:

http://www.pendrivel...ot-usb-creator/

After downloading YUMI, simply execute it and Accept the EULA. Now if your USB pendrive drive letter doesn't appear in the drop down list, check the Show All Drives? option. Select your USB pendrive (in my case, G:\ UDISK 2.0 and check the Format X: Drive (Erase Content)? option, where X: is the drive letter of your USB pendrive (Note : Once you check this option, it will be replaced by "We Will Fat32 Format X: Drive!"). This option will format your USB pendrive in FAT32 and prepare it for the .iso. In the next drop down list, you have to select the distribution that we'll put on our pendrive. In our case, the Windows 7 option is at the bottom of the list, Windows Vista/7/8 Installer. And the last step asks us to pick your Windows 7 .iso and to select it. Once all this is done, click on "Create" and then click on "Yes" to start the operation. Here's two screenshots that can help you.

hk7ugfM.png
z2q0g0j.png

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Ok, I'll try this program too but I managed to put the installation with a program called "Rufus" but I can't boot into the USB, it just takes me straight up to the normal Windows, but I'll try YUMI to see if it works.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
RUFUS also works fine, you just have to input the right settings.

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Ok, but something is unclear to me, when I go to Computer -> Properties -> Performance Information and Tools -> View and print detailed performance and system information it says "64-bit capable.............Yes", but when i go in regedit in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> HARDWARE -> DESCRIPTION -> System -> CentralProcessor -> 0 at "Identifier" it says "x86 family" and when I run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor it says that I am compatible with 64-bits.

So is my processor able to run 64-bit system or not?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
These are two different things. Do you know what CPU you have?

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Yes, I have an Intel Core 2 CPU 4400.

EDIT: I actually tend to decide to go to a tech to repair my other PC which has an AMD Processor Athlon 64 and something messed up at the motherboard, and then install the 64-bit operating system on that.

Am I making the right decision?

Edited by Pufi, 10 April 2015 - 10:03 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

It's your computers and your call Pufi, I cannot make the decision for you :) My choice will be biased as well since I prefer Intel CPU over AMD ones. Also I just looked up your Intel Core 2 CPU 4400 online, and it supports 64-bits based OS (like Windows).

Advertisements

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Ok, so until I'll fix that PC, I want to ask you: Why can't I boot from the USB?
Also I noticed something weird: When I started up the PC, i looked into the POST message, seems like when I choose to enter BIOS, it detects the flash drive, but when I do NOT enter BIOS and choose to boot normally or in the Boot device selection screen, it doesn't recognize it. I also tried to change the USB port, nothing.

Can you help me?

Edited by Pufi, 10 April 2015 - 10:24 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

I suggest you to plug the USB drive in a USB 2.0 port directly on the motherboard, and not from the computer case itself, to make sure that it's detected. From there, if you created the bootable USB, correctly, it should be detected. Also, where did you get the Windows 7 64-bits .iso from?

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

From a friend of mine, I asked for it of them since I really want to install the 64-bit version.
Ok I'll try to plug it directly in the motherboard and I'll see what I can do.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts

Did he confirm that this was a valid WIndows 7 64-bits .iso? If it's incomplete, corrupted or else, it might just not work and that might be why you can't boot from the USB, since it cannot be made bootable with a bad .iso.

Pufi

Pufi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Yes, it is a valid one, I also tried to boot the USB on his PC, and it worked.

Ok so I tried plugging it directly into the motherboard, no luck.