Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1 Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I have recently upgraded an older PC to windows 8.1.  Even though not as much memory as I'd like it's been working ok.  I turned off auto sleep mode for a specific action and forgot to turn it back on.  Then the computer started acting funny and today it asks me how I want my keyboard configured and I got a blue screen.  Apparently, not being familiar with the OS, I did not set restore points and refresh doesn't solve the issue.  I tried to use boot disc but it says the software isn't compatible. I'm not sure how to figure out how I got bad config and/or how to fix it..

I am posting this from my  other PC.  What can I do?

Thanks,

Ali

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi Alikhat,

For us to help you we need more information.Provide the make and model of PC. Auto Sleep mode in Windows 8.1 is setup in the Power options in control panel also where it is disabled from.Did a refresh would have fixed any of those issues.Possibly asking you about configuring of sleep for keyboard afterwards.

Seems like to me another issue causing this and considering i have no idea of system specs if will be enough to even run Windows 8.1.

I see you originally had Windows XP. Before this upgrade needed to check system requirements for Windows 8.1 first. http://windows.micro...em-requirements

What boot disc did you try to use ? Did you buy a Windows 8.1 disc ?  Basically there could be a number of reasons, need more info from you.

Edited by jds63, 10 April 2015 - 07:44 PM.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Hello,

Thank you for your response.  

I have a Gateway GM5266E--I did the wizard before installing 8.1  I have the minimum required but planned to add memory to make it work better.  In fact, I posted here to see if we could repair the XP registry error back in September of 2014 before I installed Windows 8.1, so there is a record of the data in my profile.  

I did try the refresh but not the reset.  I really haven't saved much on the hard drive so could try the reset and wipe all the new data.  Most of my files were all moved to a thumb drive when I put the new OS on and never moved from there.    

I used my installation disc but it said it was incompatible.  

I don't think the sleep setting caused this problem, but I always had it set to sleep when I wasn't using the computer and I had to change it because I was loading something to a cloud drive that was taking too long and the computer kept going to sleep before it completed.  I shut sleep mode off and continued not to turn off the computer.  Since the OS is running on about the minimum memory, I thought the sluggish behavior was just that but restarts didn't correct the problem and next thing I know...Blue screen.  

I'm thinking I should just try the reset since there isn't much to lose and I'll let you know what happens

Thank you again for your response.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Alikhat68,

Your welcome for the response. Wizard, you mean Windows upgrade assistant ? http://windows.micro...sta-xp-tutorial

What you could have used to check system is Upgrade Assistant first, before even trying a install .It says can not upgrade from Windows 8 from Windows XP, you need to buy a full version disc and do a clean custom install of Windows 8.1. When was completed make sure to download all available windows updates.

Looking at the PC specs it should be able to run Windows 8.1 fine.

http://panam.gateway...009208sp2.shtml

What may concern me is lack of updated device drivers on Gateway's site, none for Windows 8.1. Not sure if originally this system was 64bit or 32bit Windows XP.

What installation disc are you saying was incompatible ? 2GB what shows with this PC to have is fine for Windows 8.1, although the speed is not so fast on RAM.RAM based on how many tasks going run at same time for performance. Could be something missing on system or incompatible too.

I am not sure how you first proceeded to do this installation. You definitely have enough disc space, not an issue, just over 300GB.

Hard to say right now till we do more and i find out more from you. Many reasons could be happening, may need to update device drivers on system too (hardware) . Any driver disc come with PC when bought, take a look at gateway site use your model number or service tag, as may need to re-download drivers for your system, although again what i saw they seemed dated back to 2010, still might be fine.

Can not install new OS without reinstalling some of your device drivers after. Video card drivers, IDE controllers, Chipset drivers, etc....

Try here for Video card   http://www.geforce.com/drivers  GeForce 7600GS you have. Backup copies for any drivers able to get for now.

Edited by jds63, 12 April 2015 - 09:09 PM.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Thank you again.  

According to the Upgrade assistant I could run 8.1 but could not upgrade from XP so I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 from a disk, but immediately after had to update the OS digitally.  This is why most of my program info isn't currently stored on the hard drive.  I kept it on the thumb drive since I installed the new system.

I did get a message about driver update and followed the instructions to update the driver, but it wasn't completing the update.  So that could be a factor.  It was something I was in process of trying to resolve when I came home to the blue screen.  I just didn't realize it might have caused this.  Right after I installed the new system I received messages about updating drivers.  I followed all instructions and updated the drivers as instructed.  I didn't begin receiving the warning until about a week ago (been using Win 8.1 since last November) and tried to update the driver via the instructions but it wasn't working.

The system was 64 bit originally.  I still have the sticker on the front...

I cannot currently log in with windows on that PC.  I tried to use the systems recovery options both refresh and renew but my original Windows 8.1 installation disc is not being recognized.  It says it's incompatible.   I have not tried to use bio menu or safe mode.  What should I do?  Can drivers be updated in this condition?

Thank you again,

Ali

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

O.K. when you said update the OS digitally what exactly did you mean ? Windows updates ? Yes it is smart to backup all your software you had, documents,files,pictures and videos always and even till you know all is working well first.

Where did you receive this message about updating drivers, windows update, i presume ? Recall saying in my previous post of lack of new updates for this system to use Windows 8.1 because had none there at all.

Some of the drivers can be crucial to system,l ike chipset drivers, controller drivers. Others like Video or sound devices are easily gotten from manufacturer's website like NVIDIA and Realtek. Some need to be loaded when installing the OS.

You only did this clean install once, correct ? Attempts to refresh and reset were unsuccessful at time issues showed up ? Possible some piece of hardware is not compatible and it's drivers.

Take a look at Event Viewer, right click the start button select it from context Event Viewer, In Event Viewer check in Custom Views open it, then  Administrative events.  See if it shows any Erros in red.

Your are most welcome for help.............thinking more about it, give me some answers i asked on this post.

Edited by jds63, 13 April 2015 - 03:36 PM.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I believe that I installed and then it immediately had to be upgraded, but now I can't recall...but my installation disc says windows 8.1 full version.

I believe a driver may be the problem.   Could it be DVD Driver?  The reason I ask is that I noticed boot order that DVD is first before the hard drive.  Today, I was trying to look at the boot menu and when it restarted it had a driver error and said may happen if driver or external drive has been removed or disconnected during boot up.  This didn't happen, but also said that failing drive might cause this problem.  If the DVD is listed first and is failing will the computer not just boot up from the hard disc?

I only clean installed one time, yes.  Attempts to refresh didn't work but it keeps saying my multimedia is incompatible...which might be why it didn't work.  This makes sense if the problem is the DVD driver.

Windows doesn't boot up so I don't have a start button.   I had just the blue screen and now it is the boot driver error message...:-(

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Sorry, sometimes i feel i am repeating myself but i never get the answers to certain questions i do ask. What is telling you it needs to update or upgrade, Windows update ?

DVD Drives do not require a separate driver from there manufacturer, Windows 8.1 generic driver will work it. I believe during the boot process it does initiate that drive then looks for the Operating system. Boot process goes through all hardware test during the boot.
Something fails,you will get an error or it will not boot at all.

Where were you looking at the boot menu, in BIOS ? Anything else listed with this error, device or code ? Error on Windows desktop screen ?

Sorry your words are a bit confusing, was it said to be a device or driver failing or issue. DVD Drives fail as far as i know, when can not read a disc, write to a disc, unless something came loose inside the PC or Your main hard drive is bad. As said they do not need a special driver to work, even a Hard disk drive.

Has to be some compatibility issues here with your system and using windows 8.1, hardware possibly. So far have not put any software on yet, from XP right? Either that or failing hardware or missing system drivers as said before. Something is amiss. Sorry just have to explain things a bit clearer, take your time. As it is not an easy process when i'm not right in front of the system.

Edited by jds63, 13 April 2015 - 06:38 PM.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I'm not sure that I understand the information you are asking for.  

Oh and I re-read a previous post.  Yes about a week ago I got a message to do an update and I did.  After that I received a message from the updates that said I needed a driver update.  I tried to follow the instructions 2 times and wasn't able to get the driver to update.  I'm not sure which driver or why the instructions to update it didn't work.  It was after the attempts to update my driver failed that I came home to find the screen open to set keyboard arrangement.  I tried to select US but nothing happened.  After it restarted there was the blue screen stating  system bad config message and options to refresh etc.  I tried to refresh and it went through the restart process but didn't work.  It asked for installation disc.  I inserted 8.1 install full version disc and the message said multimedia not compatible, try again?  I did this a couple times with the same result.  Next I tried reset, it asked for installation disc but also said not compatible.  I then messaged geekstogo from my other pc.  

Also, my installation disc was full Windows 8.1 and came with free download for Windows 8.1 Update, so I did that immediately after I installed the operating system in November of 2014.

After you mentioned a driver, I checked the bios for boot order and saw that it looks to DVD, then hard drive, then USB and finally ethernet for boot order.  After I exited this, the computer continued to try to start and then I got bad driver error, not blue screen.  It said that this can happen when an external driver is removed during boot up, which did not happen OR if a DVD/CD etc. driver is bad or the hardware is bad.  It did not state which driver and I don't know how to figure out which driver is bad.

I suppose it is possible that a driver needs updated.  Before this all happened there was a message from windows that said I needed a driver update.  I followed the instructions but it wasn't completing the update.  I hadn't gotten a chance to research it before it failed.  

I have been using the Windows 8.1 since November 2014 and have installed software.  I have Quicken, Microsoft Office 2010 and other programs that have been working fine until last week. I have been updating when I get a message to do so and even believe that I recently allowed an automatic update to Win 8.1.  Perhaps right before I tried to update the driver.

As for my pc having hardware only compatible with XP--It had XP on it, but the computer was Win Vista ready when we bought it.  My husband didn't like Win Vista on his laptop so we never upgraded it until XP began failing and no longer was supported by Microsoft.

Did I answer any of your questions?

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Alikhat68, 14 April 2015 - 11:29 AM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

O.k. again to understand your statements, Is it Microsoft Windows update showing you on there update screen that there is an available driver for your PC? If Yes, Which driver and for which device is being listed from this update?

Why i ask again is telling me about instructions to update, does not seem like Microsoft Windows update. Because it checks for you, shows you a list of, important, recommended and optional updates. Now you choose by checking each and you download and then it installs.

Confused on how and what the error or issues you are getting if this is what place your updates are coming from. Internet access on PC?

O.k. you originally bought Windows 8 full version, then after installation last year you were offered the upgrade to Windows 8.1 through Windows store. Also then , this may be a possibility because i am not sure yet i have this all correct, you are now trying to insert the Windows 8 Disc but now have Windows 8.1 on system. Yes ?

Either that or all of a sudden your DVD drive can not read, it's either or. Not saying this is your only issue. As there is definitley some incompatibility problem, hardware or driver related or even missing drivers.

Seems like the keyboard. Original keyboard from Gateway ? Yes can be incompatible software and hardware for Windows 8.1  http://www.microsoft...mpatCenter/Home

Your welcome !

Advertisements

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

O.k. again to understand your statements, Is it Microsoft Windows update showing you on there update screen that there is an available driver for your PC? If Yes, Which driver and for which device is being listed from this update?--Before my computer "crashed" There was a message that stated a driver needed updated.  I clicked on the message and it had a link to download new driver but it didn't work.  The messages were showing on the bottom right just like my Win 7 does when there is a problem with printer etc.  I can't be more specific because I can no longer see the messages as the computer won't start at all.

Confused on how and what the error or issues you are getting if this is what place your updates are coming from. Internet access on PC? Error messages were coming from the start up process.  I came back to find my computer in the set keyboard screen and when I tried to set it it restarted.  After that first there was the "bad config sys error" and later after I tried to access the Bios "the bad driver error, which was the error that stated that this can happen when a DVD/CD Rom is defective OR Hardware is Bad" were happening after attempts to boot the computer.  NOW, I cannot even start a boot or get to the Bios or any menu.

O.k. you originally bought Windows 8 full version, then after installation last year you were offered the upgrade to Windows 8.1 through Windows store. Also then , this may be a possibility because i am not sure yet i have this all correct, you are now trying to insert the Windows 8 Disc but now have Windows 8.1 on system. Yes ? No, I bought full version 8.1 and installed however it immediately needed an update.  My disc says "Windows 8 and 8.1 users can down loade Windows 8.1 Update for no charge.  Which is what I did after installing Full Version Windows 8.1 from disc.  

Either that or all of a sudden your DVD drive can not read, it's either or. Not saying this is your only issue. As there is definitley some incompatibility problem, hardware or driver related or even missing drivers.

Seems like the keyboard. Original keyboard from Gateway ? Yes can be incompatible software and hardware for Windows 8.1 http://www.microsoft...mpatCenter/Home I have been using all the same hardware AND software since November and not until last week after what I thought was an update from Windows did I start having a problem.  Either the update caused some sort of incompatibility or it wasn't an update and I have Malware.  Is that a possibility?

Thank you,

Ali

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Notification area ? Never heard of this, unless you have put some softwares or hardwares software on system and it's Live Update is notifying you of an update for it.

I am not knowing what this is, what you may have put on system besides Windows 8.1, do not have that information.

DVD Drive issue hard to figure now since system does not boot. If it can work do you know how to get to the boot manager, during bootup either by pressing F8, F9 as system boots.

Windows 8.1 disc in the DVD drive, when it boots, press any key to boot from the disc. That way we can get to Windows repair and recovery options

http://windows.micro...rom-a-cd-or-dvd

Bad_config_error. There are three possible problems faulty memory (RAM), a faulty hard drive, or a program that’s damaged your registry.

The update was free for Windows 8 users, maybe updates you mean are others after it, does not matter now, if disc says 8.1 fine. Chances may need to reinstall Windows 8.1.

Not sure if hard drive is bad, RAM, bad not compatible or corrupted drivers.

Can not say for sure if this type of issue can be caused by Malware or virus, as i am not a Malware expert. Chances of trying to boot from the Windows 8.1 disc might not be possible if there is truly an issue with the DVD Drive, explained about something have to try, otherwise copy needs to be made on a USB Flash drive.

Edited by jds63, 15 April 2015 - 04:24 PM.

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I only have 8.1 system.  There is an icon arrow at the lower right of my pc in Win 7.  In my 8.1 there was something similar...it said I had messages and the message was that I needed to update.  this happened before the crash.  

I can try to see if I can get it to boot from the disc but I think I might have already tried it.  I'll try again and let you know what happens.  

I did post an inquiry in Malware to see if there is Malware that acts like this.  It may be too late to do anything in either case though.

If it was Windows update that had messages and not malware, I'm inclined to think there is a problem with a drive that needs updated...but I can't recall which drive or if it mentioned which drive...

At any rate, let me try and I'll get back to you. 

Thank you,

Alikhat68

Alikhat68

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

OK.  I thought it was kind of strange that I wasn't getting any boot up and realized that when I pulled out my computer, the contacts with the monitor were separated.  I can get to system set up or boot manager. When I restart with the disc in it does not boot from the disc automatically as the instructions indicate.  Is there something I can do in  the boot menu to force a CD boot up?

Thank you,

Ali

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I only have 8.1 system.  There is an icon arrow at the lower right of my pc in Win 7.  In my 8.1 there was something similar...it said I had messages and the message was that I needed to update.  this happened before the crash.  

I can try to see if I can get it to boot from the disc but I think I might have already tried it.  I'll try again and let you know what happens.  

I did post an inquiry in Malware to see if there is Malware that acts like this.  It may be too late to do anything in either case though.

If it was Windows update that had messages and not malware, I'm inclined to think there is a problem with a drive that needs updated...but I can't recall which drive or if it mentioned which drive...

At any rate, let me try and I'll get back to you. 

Thank you,

Never too late. Malware team would need to run software on PC, if not bootable might not be anything they can do yet. Said before Hard disk and DVD drives do not need driver updates, they work off the Operating systems generic driver, in your case Windows 8.1. With DVD drives there are firmware updates, but need to check the DVD manufacturer's website for those, again most likely not cause the issues you are experiencing with DVD Drive.

OK.  I thought it was kind of strange that I wasn't getting any boot up and realized that when I pulled out my computer, the contacts with the monitor were separated.  I can get to system set up or boot manager. When I restart with the disc in it does not boot from the disc automatically as the instructions indicate.  Is there something I can do in  the boot menu to force a CD boot up?

Thank you,

Ali

Would not change boot order at this point in someway manually. With most systems you put disc in the dvd drive, restart the system and it is either that you have to press F8 or F9  repeatedly as you see the Gateway logo. Sometimes it may be F12 or F10.

Then screen go black, then will say " Press any key to boot from the cd or  dvd..".

Then see Windows 8 install screen, but you click repair.  I would like to try to possibly use System file checker under a command prompt and chkdsk, also a ram test.

Not really getting an idea of what can or has popped up in notification area to tell you about an update. We know windows update does not do this, asked if you felt it was Action center, White flag icon, doubtful was this asking that .

Edited by jds63, 15 April 2015 - 05:45 PM.