Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry problem?

• Please log in to reply

outlaw_dude

outlaw_dude

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hey, this is my last try before a reformat, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight on why my PC is acting how it is.

I recently "overinstalled" windows XP from my HP recovery console due to some odd problems with my start menu, and sound drivers. Since then I haven't been able to change my desktop background, folder options dont stay after I close the window, my AIM screen name doesn't stay in AIM, nor do the options have any affect. Also, nortons protected recycle bin gives me this msg every time I close it: "Unable to update registry to save column order and width information."

I also posted my hijackthis log Here.

I have run Ad-Aware, CleanUp, CWShredder, Spybot S&D, Norton Antivirus, TrendMicro's online scan, and I just can't figure it out.

If anyone has ANY idea at all on what is wrong and maybe how to fix it, I would be quite happy as I have 120 gig of files to back up if I need to reformat. Thanks alot!

peace

-Outlaw

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Hmmm, the only thing I can think of is that a program is preventing these changes from being made. I do not know much about Norton Ghost... could it stop these changes from being made?

outlaw_dude

outlaw_dude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well, no luck cuz norton ghost is off as far as I can tell. Unless you have any other ideas, I guess I'll just reformat... ;)

Thanks again for your help, you guys are doing a great service to the uneducated masses :tazz:

peace

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If i were to guess, I would say that for some reason, you or the system has lost permission to edit certain registry keys

this is a very odd problem. we could probably alter the permissions, but my guess is that there is something inherently more dangerous going on, and I would reinstall.

You seem rather non-chalant about it, my guess is your an advanced user so that would be quicker than hunting the problem

outlaw_dude

outlaw_dude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah I figure when I "overinstalled" it must have changed windows suffeciently to disconnect it from the registry or something of that nature. Maybe it tried to keep the old version of it? Oh well.

Anyway, unless it magicly goes away before I get done, I'm just going to back up my data (all 120 gig *sigh* ;) ) onto CD-Rs. Then I get to start anew!

Well, thanks again guys, I appreciate it!

Peace Out :tazz: