Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data Execution Protection. Real Pain

• Please log in to reply

sylamore

sylamore

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
After uploading some pictures from my "old" comp to a new one with Windows XP, Service Pak2, I started getting a pop-up error message that says "To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program", being Windows Explorer. There is a box to tick for "close message" Then the next box says "Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close". Then I can choose to either send error report or not. How do I fix this problem and stop it from shutting down IE. Thanks for the help..... :tazz:

Advertisements

Pod0087

Pod0087

• Pip
  • 3 posts
im not sure if u want to disable it, but u can still have DEP on for only windows programs. To do this, go to my comopuer properties, then the advanced tab, then performance, and their is a tab their caled Data Execution Prevention and here u can select 'Turn on DEP for essentail windows programs and services only'
that should stop the messages

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Thanks for the reply Pod0087. You were a big help but I chose the other option listed on the final page since the one you said to check was already checked. By choosing the other option, the pop-up error message is gone.... Thanks again!!! :tazz: