Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 ultra slow startup

• Please log in to reply

l3ksy

l3ksy

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello.

I have a problem with booting up my computer. Ever since I bought it, and after 1 month of using it, it started to boot up very slow.

I formatted and reinstalled different type of win7 64bit on computer. After fresh install, the computer starts up great, but after using it 1 week it slows down. I usually resolve all issues, but this one is a mistery for me.

Sometimes my laptop shuts down unexpectedly when waking it up from sleep - this happens when waking it up, the FAN starts to run very fast, and then computer shuts down after few seconds.

See video of computer startup:

https://www.youtube....h?v=hK1iGLYESL4

Computer info:

OS Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Delovna različica 7601
valec OS Microsoft Corporation
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Model: Inspiron 7520 64-based PC
Procesor: Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 MHz, number of  cores: 4; number of logical procesors: 8
BIOS-a Dell Inc. A11, 20.2.2014
SMBIOS-a 2.7
(RAM) 8,00 GB

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I3ksy,

Slow boot time usually has to do with too many startup items when the laptop boots. First thing to check would be in the MSCONFIG

CLICK  Start > run >type msconfig > go to the Start up tab { See what is listed there. }. Even some Ant-Virus can cause boot issues. Even by looking in your notification area can show you some of the items starting up and running on laptop. Some can be turned off within the software itself without disabling the startup through MSCONFIG.

Also check in Task Manager, right click the taskbar Task Manager/ Processes/ All Users to see what is running there.

Also look here on other things to look at  http://windows.micro...mance=windows-7

What do you mean different type of Windows 7, had Home, switched to Ultimate ?

Shutting down waking from sleep could be an overheating issue, vents being blocked for proper ventilation or dust and dirt accumilation on inside, fans...etc..

Fan is running fan to try to cool it down too. Make sure not to place laptop on a blanket or other similar material can cause air flow not to be sufficient and cause more heat buildup.

Edited by jds63, 11 April 2015 - 04:10 PM.

l3ksy

l3ksy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thank you for your reply.

I tried to disable almost everything on startup with no change. In task manager there are no strange processes running. Even when computer is "starting up" and working very slow, in task manager I can see that it is not using processors at full speed and RAM is also free.... Maybe HDD?

With different type of win i meant Home, Ultimate, yes, with different versions (updates etc...)

About shutting down: it is not overheating issue. Overcooling more likely :-) Computer shuts down almost every day when it is in sleep for the night...so it is cold. Sometimes when I wake it up it wakes ok, FAN speed is normal. Even on bed, laptop does not overheat (it gets near 90°). I guess this issue is hardware related. Sometimes on unexpected restrart it says that battery is not recognized...so the problem may be in battery? In AC Power? 

Thanks,

ALes

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Your welcome.

When looking in task manager show high CPU % or Disc % in use, should be in performance tab ?  Laptops may have Solid state drive or a HDD. HDD will last sometimes longer but could get bad sectors cause performance issues.

Matter to age of system, use and also improper shutdowns. SSD have certain life exspectancy but perform better not get bad sectors or require defrag.Check system specs see which you have.

Did you go over other items in that link ? 90 if Celsius is high. If fan runs fast then slows, o.k. then. Yes could be hardware related, also be a virus, have you recently scanned for viruses ? Any restore points made can go back on ?

Ever shutdown without it being in sleep ? How well does battery charge ? How long have you had this laptop ? Try it for a time period without the battery to see.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

2 editions of this laptop one is special edition other is not, some differences, but it seems both have HDD, one a 5400RPM, SE Model a 7200RPM

Want to check the drive do this:

Click Start Menu, right click command prompt,select "run as administrator"  copy and paste this in command prompt, press enter need to reboot to run

chkdsk c: /f /r

Take sometime, wil lcheck the HDD able to retrieve the log this way, put on text on your desktop.

1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type powershell.exe, and press Enter.

2. In PowerShell, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter.

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

3. You will now have a CHKDSKResults.txt file created on your desktop that is the log file of your chkdsk scan results from Event Viewer.

Edited by jds63, 11 April 2015 - 06:08 PM.

l3ksy

l3ksy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

@jds63:

I dont have SSD disk. Disk is  5400RPM and performance is normal (all sectors are ok - tested it with various programs). In task manager (see in video) i can see, that minimum CPU and RAM are used. Disk is sometimes 100% used by "system".

I am trying it without battery...

As chkdsk, i cannot do it... see image:

717be265f96503f9e56624f0.jpg

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

RE chkdsk, press Y and then restart the computer.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

RE chkdsk, press Y and then restart the computer.

Thank you sir!!

@jds63:

I dont have SSD disk. Disk is  5400RPM and performance is normal (all sectors are ok - tested it with various programs). In task manager (see in video) i can see, that minimum CPU and RAM are used. Disk is sometimes 100% used by "system".

I am trying it without battery...

As chkdsk, i cannot do it... see image:

717be265f96503f9e56624f0.jpg

Thanks

CHKDSK will check the sectors on disk. What did you use to tell you about performance you are specifying ? See if you can screen capture the task manager so we can see.

l3ksy

l3ksy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
TimeCreated : 16.4.2015 21:54:34
Message     : 

Checking file system on C:
              The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
              Windows will now check the disk.                         

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
                179200 file records processed.                                 

File verification completed.
                450 large file records processed.                              

0 bad file records processed.                                  

2 EA records processed.                                        

44 reparse records processed.                                  

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
                233706 index entries processed.                                

Index verification completed.
                0 unindexed files scanned.                                     

0 unindexed files recovered.                                   

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
                179200 file SDs/SIDs processed.                                

Cleaning up 551 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
              Cleaning up 551 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
              Cleaning up 551 unused security descriptors.
              Security descriptor verification completed.
                27254 data files processed.                                    

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
                37451512 USN bytes processed.                                  

Usn Journal verification completed.
              CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
                179184 files processed.                                        

File data verification completed.
              CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
                97360957 free clusters processed.                              

Free space verification is complete.
              CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
              master file table (MFT) bitmap.
              CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bi
              tmap.
              Windows has made corrections to the file system.

450270207 KB total disk space.
                60450544 KB in 133107 files.
                   79120 KB in 27255 indexes.
                       0 KB in bad sectors.
                  296711 KB in use by the system.
                   65536 KB occupied by the log file.
               389443832 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
               112567551 total allocation units on disk.
                97360958 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
              00 bc 02 00 bd 6f 02 00 90 8d 04 00 00 00 00 00  .....o..........
              ae 01 00 00 2c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ....,...........
              00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
              Please wait while your computer restarts.

l3ksy

l3ksy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

fifty-shades-of-grey-fif.jpgThis is task manager.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hey, to my knowledge your HDD looks good, no bad sectors, cleaned up some stuff, but all good.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Double check your startup items, believe must have way too many items running. 2.77GB kind of high. Also if not doing much when took this screen capture.

Go to Run command at start button, type MSCONFIG check startup tab. Some items can be found to the bottom right on the notification area as startups as also disable them within there respected programs.

Also use CCleaner free  http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Edited by jds63, 16 April 2015 - 02:22 PM.

l3ksy

l3ksy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

These are programs wich starts at startup. I Ran ccleaner, I REinstalled windows several times. I really tried everything... Just now, when computer is turned on for half hour, it works fine. It is fast and eveything. 2gb ram is high (i am running some apps - viber, dropbox, owncloud, bittorrent,..). I guess something is loading disk at startup. So disk is writing and reading at full speed when I turn on computer.fifty-shades-of-grey-fif.jpg

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Does not look like a lot, 3 are Intel system files. Not sure about others, but BitTorrent is not a safe program as downloading from torrents notorious for virus infections.

As i have Windows 8.1, bit different in task manager, but have to look at process see which are or if any consuming memory the most.

Look through programs and also process should show you how much each is using. As i can't see them from one part you screen captured in task manager, plus not all in english.

l3ksy

l3ksy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Yes they are not in English. Dont worry about bittorrent - i know what i am downloading. Viber takes about 250k RAM, and it takes the most of them all ... ok Chrome does take the most when it is on. But Viber runs all the time.

The problem is only with startup. When computer is booting, RAM is not used, CPU is not used but disk is 100% used by "system", thats why it works slow...How can i figure out what does it do?