Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

frustrating keyboard!

• Please log in to reply

lukazade

lukazade

• Pip
  • 5 posts
;) i have a microsoft wireless comfort keyboard 1.0a and when i am holding down a button for a little bit it will suddenly cut out eg when im playing a car game my car will be going fine and then it will just cut out and if i keep my finger down after about 10 seconds it will start working again.... ;) this gets really annoying when you have been winning a race the whole time and right at the end the keyboard stops and you lose. i have checked batterys and signal and they are all ok :tazz: what the....

Advertisements

Fiachna

Fiachna

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My keyboard used to have this annoying "sticky keys" function that may be the problem but it should ask whether to turn it off or not. Also, I don't know whether all computers do this, but sometimes if you hold down three or more keys at a time, none will work. My main suggestion is that you look into buying a cheap gamepad for playing games, I have a couple and they are absolute godsends. Just an afternote, the computer might be realising you're holding down a particular key for a long time and thinking it might be the default position?

lukazade

lukazade

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hmm i think you might be right about the three or more keys thing. is there any alternative to buying a gamepad? maybe change some settings or sumthing?

Fiachna

Fiachna

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm afraid that there aren't settings you can change in relation to this, it's actually a flaw with all processors nowadays as they cannot process more than one bit of instructions at a time (though this is done very fast), there will be multithread technology coming mid 2006 that may fix this problem but it will be rather expensive to start with, basically it allows up to 4 bits of data. A gamepad has it's own seperate sort of metaprocessor that allows it to send commands to the CPU that are far more compressed than those of Keyboards or Mice. So basically, the best solution in my mind is to purchase a gamepad. (I recommend Gravis as it is compatible with most applications) Hope that helps.

lukazade

lukazade

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
do u kno of any gud web sites about gamepads u could give me?
thanks for ur help

Fiachna

Fiachna

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Just do a google search for USB gamepads and it should turn up with a few sites, which I find is always better than looking at a specific site