Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing MSI R9 280x

• Please log in to reply

reapah23

reapah23

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I'm having a problem fitting this into my case. It seems like it doesnt line up with the case's thing where the ports would come out so the metal bar ends up just touching the board and I cant seem to fit it in there. I can't really maneuver it because of a metal mount near the HDD so it wont move sideways and trying to move it around just makes the 2 metal bars at the end of the card touch/scratch the board trying to maneuver it in. It seems like the card has to go over a bit more but the motherboard PCIE slot is in a specific spot, so I'm guessing my case is too small for it? I would just like some advice before I buy a new case, will the R9 280x fit the ASUS 78LMT-USB3.0 motherboard or is it a case problem? The case is just a prebuilt HP computer that I gutted out besides the HDD mount it really isnt that small but maybe I'm wrong I have never seen a real gaming computer case. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by reapah23, 13 April 2015 - 04:21 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome:

The product number for the MB comes up as a Gigabyte board, > http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=4305#ov  It will support the GPU.

Before installing the MB, did you remove the I/O shield fitted to the HP case, and replace it with the one that came in the MB box?

Have you removed 2 slot covers at the back of the case?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Further info.

The card is 10.6", 26.9 centimetres long.   So from the back of the case to hard drive cage, or any obstruction, you need that clearance, + 1/8", 3MM, so you can get it in.   Must be installed vertically.   If you have not got that clearance, you will need a different case. 

reapah23

reapah23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Mistake on my part the motherboard is ASUS M5A78L-MUSB3. I do not know what an I/O shield is and yes the case definitely is too small technically its because of that huge cage sticking out that I could possibly take out but I think a new case would be a better solution and definitely less stress haha. Will a 7.1" x 16.5" x 16.5" be enough space to hold it in, theres a short video about the case and in the description it states that if you have a big card you can install the hard drive at one of the 2 bottom bays instead of the 3rd one where the card will be lined up (theres 5 bays) and it will fit. It would suck having to send the case back because I'm an idiot and bought too small of a case. I've literally no clue about dimensions. I know the case is 7.1" x 16.5" x 16.5" physical dimensions and the card is 269x128x34 mm. Viotek Black ATX MID Tower Gaming Case is the name of it. Assuming the card is 10.6 inches and the case is 16.5 it should theoretically fit? I've looked at a few other cheap cases around the same price and that one seems to best choice as it has the 5 expansion bays and a bunch of spots for some extra fans and comes installed with a 180mm and a 80mm fan already, but if you can suggest a better case for around the same price please do. Thank you for the replies and any future ones. I read a review on amazon about it and someone said they couldnt even fit the GTX 280 which I believe mine is about the same size if not bigger so its really skeptical now..

Edited by reapah23, 14 April 2015 - 09:15 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Firstly the I/O shield.

2 for the I/O shield,Don't use a hammer, just push it out, > https://www.google.c...iqzlow&cad=rjt\

Also includes installing the board, > 

A video for connecting the case front switches, > http://www.youtube.com/easypcrepairs

Sorry, called out, will post later about the case, 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

2 links for the case,

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B00M253T3G

With video, > http://inttorg.ru/go...7724/?delivery=

Not one I would recommend.  Does not have.

A rear exhaust fan, you would need to install one, it is only 80mm, to small and would be noisy.

No cable management space behind the MB to route cables.

Does not have the optimal USB 3,0 plug for the front header case sockets, probable need and adaptor, or run through the case and plug into a socket on the back of the case

Even leaving out the 2 hard drives, it would still be tight to  install your GPU, you would have to attach the PCI-E cables before installing the card as the sockets would be inside the HDD cage

The 2 fans only have a Molex power connexion so they would run at full speed.   You need to have connections 2 or 4 pin to connect to the MB so you can control them.

Please give us a max  budget and we will make some suggestion. 

reapah23

reapah23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid tower case is the other one I was looking at so I'd say about $45 is my budget. Now that I watch your video I can say yes I've already replaced the I/O shield.

Edited by reapah23, 15 April 2015 - 10:23 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

From the Asus MB specs, does not support USB 3.0, the Corsair case only has 1 USB 2.0  1 USB 3.0 so only 1 USB socket available on the case front.

Only one pre installed front an, you will need to purchase a rear exhaust one.

Rosewill REDBONE 1st choice.

NZXT Source 220 2nd choice.

Rosewill Galaxy-03 3rd choice.

Need to purchase a rear fan, Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 4th choice.

Need to purchase a front fan, ENERMAX OSTROG 

Compare, > http://www.newegg.co...147-159:$$$$$$$

Best i could do, gone over your budget though as virtually no choices at $45 mark.

You will still need to do some research with regards video card size as I have not had a lot of time to do it for you.