Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Won't Accept New DVD Burner

• Please log in to reply

jivy

jivy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I bought a Lite-On SOHW 1673S DVD-RW drive a while back. I finally got around to installing it, but there is trouble afoot.

Originally, on my second IDE channel I had a master DVD-ROM and a slave CD burner (both explicitly set with jumpers). I took out the old DVD-ROM and put in the new DVD burner with the jumper set to master. Windows took a long [bleep] time to load (20 - 30 minutes). It installed the drive, but I don't recall it recognizing the fact that it was a DVD-RW drive. It simply shows up as CD-ROM.

I have since tried many different combinations of jumper settings, swapping it with the old CD burner instead, leaving it all by its lonesome on the channel, and giving it a good hard kick (I wish). If I disconnect the new drive, Windows boots up just fine and everything is fine and dandy. When I plug it in, it always takes forever to boot up, and even then everything runs terribly. It keeps getting reset to PIO even though I select let the BIOS decide. Oh by the way, my BIOS sees the drive as exactly what it is (Lite-On yada yada yada), as well as my Linux install (but I haven't done any tests past booting it up with it). The problem seems to purely be in Windows. There are no drivers for this thing either. Argh. I read a previous guy's post about switching the drives and having it work. This does not work for me.

If anyone can help me with this, I will surely grow a uterus to have your child.

EDIT: I am using Windows XP Pro SP1 with all the updates. Another thing I have tried is uninstalling (via Device Manager) the new drive, the whole IDE drivers, and then both at the same time, but still no go. They come back when I let it run long enough to boot up, but it's still uberslow and only showing CD-ROM.

I put the jumper on cable select and made the DVD burner the only thing on the secondary IDE cable. Windows took a while to boot up, but not nearly as long, and displayed the found new hardware bubble in the system tray. However, the bubble also still says CD-ROM. I would think this is good news, but my mouse icon is frozen and the system seems to be frozen. I'll let it run overnight though.

Edited by jivy, 13 June 2005 - 12:03 AM.

Advertisements

jivy

jivy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry to bump my own thread, but it's been retired back to almost the 3rd page without a reply. Anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it.

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Lite-on drives are nothing but trouble from my experience, but i was wondering if this drive actually works once its booted up in windows? Also what IRQ channel is the dvd drive on. If it does work then does it run dvd's? cds? and burn them too? Or is it just the name your dont like :tazz:

jivy

jivy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried playing a DVD on it, but it just froze and then later said it didn't find any DVD's. I can't seem to pinpoint what IRQ the drive is on, but the System Info says that my parallel ATA's are on 14 and 15. The CD-ROM category of System Info is totally blank (even though I have my old working drive in as well).

Edited by jivy, 14 June 2005 - 07:42 AM.

jivy

jivy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Anyone else have any ideas?