Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Refusal to boot.

• Please log in to reply

AidanHunter

AidanHunter

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hola all, thanks for accepting my registration. I come to you because I have run across a problem I cannot solve... without reinstall and loss of much data and time.

My notebook has refused to work for about six hours now, all of which has been dedicated to try to fix 'er. The Windows XP SP2 Pro box began to seriously slow down, so I decided it was about time for a restart.

Didn't get the results I wanted. Whenever Windows finishes the logo + blue scrollbar screen phase, I get a blue screen that states my 'DEFAULT' config file, embedded in the 'CONFIG' folder of the WINDOWS directory, is corrupted or absent.

The many different startup options all fail with this error.

First thought? "[bleep]."

I have tried a repair through my recovery disk. No dice. The malignant config file halts it in its tracks.

I tried backing my data up on my two partitions aside from C:, using the bootable Linux distro Knoppix-STD, which I'm using to talk to you guys now. Also no dice, because NTFS is overprotective and does not let me transfer the files.

The latest change to my machine came in the form of the Battlefield 2 Demo install.

I'm pretty sure it's a boot sector virus. However, I cannot scan the partition in my current situation; I'm an utter Linux newb and don't even know how to go through folders. Do any of you know something that can scan and determine which bug actually bit my machine, preferably during the boot sequence, so I can find the appropriate fix software?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
You could try this : Microsoft 1
Or this : Microsoft2

AidanHunter

AidanHunter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Not to re-bump, but will either of these options remove my user data and leave my three partitions (My drive is in three partitions; one 50, and two 25 gig.) inaccessible?