Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

newbie needing help

• Please log in to reply

oreddragno

oreddragno

• Pip
  • 5 posts
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue][B]I am looking to build basiclly a media computer that could be used to upload my vast collection of cds possibly be hooked up to my tv to play dvd's and depending on how cheap can go use as a dvr. would like some ideas of what to look for and some possible set up sudjestions. I am a newbie who wants to learn everything so dish as much as you can at me. I am looking budget wise.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I would suggest you look into mythtv and freevo, linux versions of windows media center that work quite well. I recently read a comparison that said mythtv beat media center quite handily, but cant find it again right now...

here is an older article that gives you some idea of what its about though. note that the hardware doesnt need to be nearly as powerful.

I want to build one of these someday. its one of those projects thats "on the list..."

EDIT- heres a good how to, very recent.

Edited by audioboy, 13 June 2005 - 07:39 PM.

hacp

hacp

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok, he says hes a newbie, so it will probably take him a long time to learn to optimally install everything for a linux media center.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Doesnt take long to learn anything if you really want to, who says he has to learn he could find one of the numerous guides on the internet for doing anything.

So do you basically want a barebones sysytem with a semi descent graphics card. they are actually pretty cheap to buy.

oreddragno

oreddragno

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
basicly what i am wanting is a true media center one that can record tv, i can play movies from to a tv and eventually a projector, also i would like to either be able to hookup a external hard drive to play music from like a jukebox type deal or if possible have a two hard drive set up however that may be somthing for the future, and i would also like to be able to go on the net from it which shouldnt be calling for too much. i would apreciate anyone to just post what i need to look for. I have been in car stereos for some time now and know that everyone in stereo forums have their opinions and know the brands well. Experts such as you all can teach me the brands to look for and what setups work best with what operating systems. I use to be into the whole computer thing a while ago but am no longer. I originally started as a programmer.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well to me what you want is a small barebones micro atx beastie. http://www.overclock...ystems_110.html
look at some of these you probably arent british as peolpe generally arent here so check out the specs and then check the prices on whatever sites you like.

They are pretty handy pcs, the same features usually as a normal pc but in a smaller lighter box (cheaper as well most of the time). They also usually come with alot of OS independant functions like audio, and video options like a hifi or dvd player. They run a normal OS and you can do what you want on it just like a normal pc, they dont look out of place in the living room either.

Seems to be the kind of thing you want to start with. Check out the shuttle on the new ATI 200 board decent onboard graphics and sound are included, which means you just buy cpu and ram and its ready to go.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
heres the the thing I read- they spell it all out pretty well, including what equipment is needed. setup was a bit of a pain, so that is something to consider. part 1 is what is involved and the setup. part 2 is all about the comparisons with Media center.

this should give you a good idea of whats involved, whichever way you want to go.

oreddragno

oreddragno

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thinking about this as my basis to start off with tell me what you think http://www.zipzoomfl...ductCode=324301

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
looks pretty good to me. can support high end CPU, and 2 gig dual ram. you could power the MS media center with that.
have yu decided which way you want to go software wise?

oreddragno

oreddragno

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the verdict is still out on the OS any ideas on hardware? I am pretty set i beleive on a audgy 2 card anyone know any good prices? good place for hard drive, tv card, and memory? also concerning the os has anyone actually dealt with any of these media center apps? and i have never dealt with linux before give me some input. is there a linux for dummies out there somewhere?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
check out newegg.com and tigerdirect.com, they have great prices on hardware. pricewatch is another favorite around here.
the linux learning curve is the reason I havent gotten into yet either. part of the appeal of mythtv is that there are full builds available, to avoid the "get this part, then this part, then this part..." that used to be the case. like I said, someday...

actually, come to think of it, check out the ATI all in wonder series of cards. I have couple friends that use them, and they come bundled with PVR software, etc. might be the easiest way to go. go to ATI.com and check it out, they are pretty good about descriptions.

oreddragno

oreddragno

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok so here is what i am thinking

Kloss KL-I915A P4 LGA775 Prescott Mini Barebone System $320
Hauppauge 980 PCI Interface TV Tuner Card $140
Logitech Z-5500 Speaker System $260
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Sound Card $160
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive $130
pqi POWER Series 1GB ddr sdram $ 81
NEC Black IDE DVD Burner 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 4X $ 48

total = 1139

Well i might make some cut backs but that is what looks like would be ideal i dunno if i want to spend that much though opinions please and ideas on how to cut back?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would probably say if it is just a home system you could get a much cheaper sound card, the average punter cant tell the difference between a 40 quid sound card and 100 quid one. Mind an get a digital tv card, although i dont know if they have digital telly in america.