Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suspected RAM issue - multiple BSOD (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

chris1985

chris1985

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi,

I've been having BSOD issues with my PC. The hardware specs are as follows:

Intel i7-4820k @ 3.70ghz

16gb (2x8gb memory sticks) Corsair Ram

GTX 770 2gb GPU

250SSD and a 1TB hard drive

Windows 8.1

The issues started occuring about 4 or 5 months ago, and started to increase in frequency. They can range from not occuring at all for weeks at a time, to occuring multiple times in a day. They occur during any state, whether idle on the main windows screen, or browsing the net, or during gaming.

I've stress tested both the CPU and the GPU and no problems at all have been detected. The PC was a pre-built cyberpower one, that mentioned that the CPU is overclocked. There are overclocking options in the BIOS but everything was on default (and I've detected no overclock that I can see during testing, everything seems to be working to specification). I am very much a novice with PC's though, so I could easily be missing something!

However, with extensive MemTest86 v6 testing, it's picking up about 2-300 errors between tests 6-8. These occur with both sticks (tested both individually) and across different memory slots on the mobo.

I can guess it's a sign of bad RAM and the solution will be to replace them, but just wanted to know if there's any other options I can try to be sure it's definitely the RAM before I purchase replacement (sadly it's about 9 months out of warranty now).

Another issue is I'm unable to update Windows 8.1. For some reason, when it updates now, something always occurs afterwards, either issues starting up Window's (fails to start and have to system restore) or sudden driver issues, which again requires a system restore to before the update to fix. Could an issue in the Windows OS be related? I have a Window's 8 disk, but don't want to format and reinstall (and then go through all the subsequent updates to 8.1) unless it's necessary, with Windows X coming soon I'll just upgrade to that if it can wait.

Advertisements

chris1985

chris1985

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Just to clarify - All issues I've been getting are sudden BSOD, no other performance issues. It's working perfectly one minute, then sudden BSOD the next (multiple different reasons, such as the IRQL not equal or less, memory management etc). Pretty much every occurence of BSOD can state a different reason.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: chris1985.

When RAM errors are detected, it is defective and must be changed before troubleshooting other issues.

Your RAM has a lifetime warranty.   Ring cyberpower first > https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/support/

Please post back the response you get. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Been a while since we hear from you.   Do you still some help to sort the problem?   An update would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

chris1985

chris1985

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I borrowed an 8gb stick of RAM from a friend and so far there's been no BSOD and memtest checks it fine, so I'm 100% sure that was the issue.

Thanks for the advice with replacing RAM though, currently in the process of replacing mine after contacting Cyberpower (forgot to mention on op that I'm from the UK so had to go through the UK branch of Cyberpower, but it's almost all sorted now).

Thanks for your help.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thank you for letting us know the outcome of the troubleshooting, much appreciated.   looks like new RAM will solve the problem, but come back if the issue reappears.

Your are very welcome. :thumbsup: 

Good luck.