Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

swapping system drive with windows 7 installed

backup

• Please log in to reply

reny410

reny410

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

I'm sorry if it's in the wrong section, I'm not sure where to post this..

here's my situation, my C drive, which is where my windows is installed, is running low on memory, and I need some space to install Visual Studio

since Visual Studio Professional doesn't allow installation on another drive beside the system drive, I want to buy another harddisk and swap my current C drive with the new harddisk

but right now, I have a lot of other installed things in C, and I can't lose that :/ (re'installing everything is not an option)

is there any way I can create an exact copy of my current C drive to the new harddisk, so then I can swap C with new harddisk without having to reinstall windows and everything and have that extra space I need? 

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Yes you can clone the old HDD to the new one, some HDD manufactures provide software to do that for free or you can use Macrium Reflect Free

They have a article explaining How to clone a disk using Macrium Reflect Free

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, just to add, I assume you mean to transfer everything to a much larger hard drive, which really would be the best choice here, as Sleepy dude said you can do so by cloning the old to the new, however on the new there will then be blank unused space which then means you will have to expand the existing partition into that space.

Go buy your new hard drive first and check if there is a spare SATA data connection and a SATA power connection in your computer.

If there isn't you will need a SATA drive to USB adapter connection.

Then download and install Macrium reflect and use it to clone the old drive onto the new one.

Then install the new drive into the computer and if things are simple you can use Windows own partition manager, if not there are some good free partition managers around that can be used instead.

If you do have any trouble either understanding or doing any of that do ask before getting into trouble by doing the wrong thing, plenty of members here can help with that.