Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot, fan turns on and off every two seconds

boot problem

• Please log in to reply

yaron1m

yaron1m

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi,

My computer stopped working today. I've been experiencing BSOD for the last couple of hours, and in an attempt to solve the problem I opened up the computer to look if some of the cables were disconnected.

After reassembling the computer, I tried to boot it, but it won't start - the computer's fans (the normal one, the CPU's and the PSU's) went on for a second, and then off, repeating every three seconds.

No display is available when this happens, no beep code.

This happened out of the blue, no parts were damaged.

I've tried:

·         Removing all of the external connections to the computer.

·         Removing all of the not necessary connections (leaving only the PSU, CPU, RAM and the power button).

·         Resetting the bios by removing the battery and inserting the bios reset jumper.

·         Replacing the PSU.

·         Removing the GPU.

·         Removed the motherboard from the case.

·         Removed all RAM and tried each one in every slot.

·         Attempted to remove static electricity by putting the motherboard on the floor (I don't know if that actually makes a difference)

Yet nothing works.

My spec:

·         I5

·         SIGMA 500 WATT PSU

·         Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2-B3

·         2 X 4GB DDR3 sticks of RAM

·         256 SanDisk SSD.

I'd would really appreciate if you could help me solve this issue, or for the least diagnose it correctly so I would by the needed parts.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: yaron1m 

Looks like you have covered most things, so you need to Barebones test, with the min parts again. No cables connected to the MB, including the case wires. 

Place the MB on a piece of card or the MB box.

Only the CPU, heatsink/fan connected. > check the CPU fan wires, any bared parts, any breaks?   connect to the CPU fan header on the MB. > Connect the 24V/12V cables. 

Switch on the PSU and with a small bladed screwdriver, short out the 2 PWR pins on the front panel header.   

What result please. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

How did the test go?   An update would be appreciated.

Thanks.