Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD-R Reader will not read CD-Rs

• Please log in to reply

bryan6791

bryan6791

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

I am having trouble with my DVD-R reading some Data CD-Rs. I burned some MP3s onto a data CD-R. It reads some of them, but most of them it just hangs and will not let me view the contents of the CD-R. How do I fix this problem? Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

Hello bryan6791,

I burned some MP3s onto a data CD-R. It reads some of them, but most of them it just hangs and will not let me view the contents of the CD-R

Optical drives can be picky when it comes to different brands of disk so can I ask if it happens with more than one brand. 

From where have the MP3 files come from, this to see if they are protected/encrypted.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

bryan6791

bryan6791

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

What I do not understand is the CD-Rs read on my laptop fine, but most of the CD-Rs do not read on my Win 7 desktop.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

Hello bryan6791,

I burned some MP3s onto a data CD-R. It reads some of them, but most of them it just hangs and will not let me view the contents of the CD-R

Optical drives can be picky when it comes to different brands of disk so can I ask if it happens with more than one brand. 

From where have the MP3 files come from, this to see if they are protected/encrypted.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

Not heard from you for a while bryan6791, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

bryan6791

bryan6791

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

No, I am still having the same problem. I am sorry that I did not get back with you. I do not understand why I can view them on my Win 7 laptop, but not my Win 7 desktop.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

Hello bryan6791,

TIP

Can you answer the questions that I have previously asked please.

bryan6791

bryan6791

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

The .MP3 files came from newsgroups and a torrent websites, I do not know if they are protected or encrypted or not.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

Can I draw your attention to the GTG Terms of Use which we have all agreed to abide by;

We will not support or allow the discussion of any peer to peer (P2P) applications, except for their removal.

Due to the nature of from where the media has come from (torrents) I suggest that you check the computer for malware by following the GTG malware redirection text below

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

bryan6791

bryan6791

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Okay well thanks for the help. I do not think I have malware on my computer because I scan it every week. Some of the .mp3 files on these CD-Rs I burnt like five years ago.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

Not sure of your malware removal knowledge and discussing the possibility any further here is off limits, as you download torrents the computer needs to be checked by a member of the GTG malware removal staff, this regardless of how many years ago that you burned the media concerned.

Good luck with any malware removal that may be required  :thumbsup: