Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem displaying 256 colors

• Please log in to reply

Bonifaccio

Bonifaccio

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there

I've read about some people's problems with not being able to get 256 colors back. I've followed some of the instructions on the site but to no avail so I'm asking for some guidance.

I've attached a report in html format of the system I'm on, running ME. This should be a good starting point.

Everything I've tried hasn't worked so far (tried to change driver or re-install driver but I'm not sure if I'm installing the right one or not).

Also tried to fix any problems by using Device Manager in System Properties, but no luck.

Please help me!!

Frustrated in New Zealand

Attached Files

• Attached File  cpuz.htm   7.35KB   41 downloads

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you can't get out of 16-colours display it's almost certainly caused by there being no compatible driver installed for the graphics card. When this is the case, Windows automatically uses it's own basic video driver so you can at least get into Windows and install the proper driver. The basic Windows driver can only display a low colour-depth as you have discovered. If you don't know the make/model of the graphics card, you can download a free utility from here: http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html
This will identify your graphics hardware. Then go the manufacturer's website and look for the correct driver.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I've had to open the case, look at the chip for the part number, and then download the right driver from the web site. :tazz:

Bonifaccio

Bonifaccio

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Pip 22

I've done the old Belarc report and I must say, not really being up to speed on the information it's showing me, I don't exactly know what I'm looking for.

Would you mind looking at the report?

The company I purchased from was liquidated in 2001 so I can't go to their website as it's gone.

The report is attached, any help greatly appreciated.

Bonifaccio

Attached Files

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
http://members.drive...?driverid=82213
that is ur video card driver and your gonna need to sign up for free to get the son of a [bleep]!
Also You might need to download the new directx 9.0c and updates for windows me.
Another problem which i would have to say i also had because i have the same via mother board as you, is the [bleep]ing piece of [bleep] connectivity of the lithium battery, i swear it loses all its flash bios mem all the time, so with that said go into bios and make sure that bios is booting up to the correct video card, It should be display>Onboard and make sure that the shared memmory of your onboard video card is set to 16 mb i believe. then go ahead and try to put it to 256.

Bonifaccio

Bonifaccio

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey Scrushmaster

That's (Bleeping) done it!! You sorted it out for me. Thanks so much for the help. No issues anymore.

Thanks to all who have helped,

Bonifaccio