Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screens, possible bad memory?

blue screen bsod memory

• Please log in to reply

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Hello,

So last night I was playing a game when my screen suddenly turned green. I was unable to do anything so I had to shut down. Then when I went back to playing, my game would crash. Then I tested out a few other games and they would all crash after a few moments as well. So originally I was thinking my GPU was failing. But now I'm thinking it's my memory.

Last night I got a blue screen (System Service Exception). I just recently replaced my memory and upgraded my CPU (GSkill Sniper 16gb DDR3 and AMD FX 8370) so I began wondering if my new memory was the problem. So I decided to run Memtest86. I set it for 15 passes and let it run over night. I looked at it this morning and it couldn't make it one pass, and it found 210 errors. I managed to take a photo of it and will upload because I am not quite sure how to interpret the errors.

After I closed out of Memtest and booted my system, I then got about three more blue screens (Driver IRQL Not Less Or Equal). I could hardly use my computer without getting a blue screen error.

So originally I thought this was my GPU but now with the frequent blue screens and MemTest finding errors, I am guessing my new memory is bad? I also don't think the slots on my mobo are faulty being the old memory I had installed gave me no issues. I should mention I did enable XMP in the BIOS could this be causing issues?

So any help would be greatly appreciated. I have uploaded the minidump files in case they can further pinpoint the issue. Thanks!

Edited by Ech0es, 26 April 2015 - 12:26 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You are getting bit drops (not getting back all the bits that were written), definitely bad memory.

Remove half the memory and run memtest86 again. If it fails swap removed and installed and test again.

Replace defective memory.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Thanks for the reply.

I guess that answers why my games would crash. At least it's not my GPU failing.

I will swap out one stick at a time and test and replace the defective. Thank you.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Please let me know what you find.

It's unusual but not unheard of to have defective new memory. It's also possible that simply re-seating the memory modules will resolve the problem.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

I think I may just remove the memory and try re-seating it. And then run Memtest again over night. I can only do it over night since I do a lot of work on my PC. If it finds any errors I will just send back to Newegg and purchase a new set.

I'll let you know what happens with the Memtest.

Update:

Memtest found over 400 errors, so I returned the defective RAM, finally got the new RAM and all is well! Memtest found no issues.

Thanks!

Edited by Ech0es, 26 April 2015 - 12:31 AM.