Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display adapter card not showing up

Windows 7 Amd Device manager

• Please log in to reply

Diorst

Diorst

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Im new to this forum, I`ll try to be specific, I`m not a native English speaker so, sorry for grammar

I did search the forums but could not quite find an answer mostly because of my ignorance... let me explain:

Lenovo Thinkpad T500

Windows 7 64bits sp1 fully updated

I had a problem with my laptop, whenever i tried to logon I was able to see the boot screen "Lenovo etc" then the Starting windows animation, but then it kept going to a black screen, I was able to hear the login sounds and if I write the password I was able to hear everything, if I tapped a bunched of letters enters and escapes i could hear normal error sounds etc.

Then I restarted in safe mode and it worked fine:

--I uninstalled all new programs up to 4 days ago

--Run a complete update and scan in Malwarebytes

--Cleaned and back up the registry in CCleaner

--Cleaned my Startup via msconfig and disabled a lot of things

Current Startup things= 

Thinkvantage communication utility
       SAIICPL application which is some sound application
       AMD dual core optimizer
       Avast antivirus

Nothing worked

-I did a system restore, it was an automatic restore point from april 16th and my problem started april 18th

Did not solve the problem

Then i read in another page that a black screen problem just like mine + a fully working safe mode was caused because of the graphics card in display adapter in the device manager. That page recommend to uninstall the driver reboot and install it again... Guess i should had search for a proper guide...

Uninstalling the driver actually worked, but I`m guessing that it worked because i had two display adapters cards 1 intel 1 amd, so i guess windows in booting and working just with the intel one (since the amd is totally gone) I uninstalled it by double clicking the Amd card in the device manager and clicking uninstall without installing the catalyst center or anything. Why did i uninstall the amd and not the intel? well the amd was the first one...

That page (i can provide links, but could not find anywhere if thats good or not in here) said that when rebooting after uninstalling the driver, windows will prompt me to install the driver, but windows did not say anything, so, after installing the driver that i previously download, Still cant see the card in display adapters.

The driver i downloaded and carefully select came with Catalyst CC and a bunch of other things it was an exe downloaded from amd page, i tried twice to installed still nothing in device manager.

Restart several times, nothing

Tried the windows hardware check and it just highlighted a problem with another thing, the fingerprint device

I checked some posts and actually boot in the bios to see if it was somehow activated it there but could find anything

Thats what i meant by saying that I could not find an appropriate answer due to my ignorance... im a medicine student im no tech savvy

What is an onboard card? VGA? 

How do I reactivate it?

Please help  :upset:

Also notice that when checking the system information it still displays 8.00 gb of Ram which was the amount prior to the card deactivation  :no:

EDIT= I reused the automatic restore point from april 16th and the ATI card is back in the Device Manager, so back to problem 1 now.

How to uninstall\install display adapters drivers? any amd tutorial?

Any other ideas regarding black screen no mouse and full working safe mode?

Edited by Diorst, 20 April 2015 - 03:40 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   Diorst,

What is an onboard card? VGA? 

In the case of a notebook type computer that has a CPU (processor) that is capable of providing graphics an onboard card/integrated video chip is sometimes also available, this tends to be on higher end gaming  and business type notebooks. 

Couple of other things worth mentioning are that notebooks that have the two types of graphics solution available will only use the CPUs video capability until more graphics power is needed such as gaming or CAD work etc, this is referred to as switchable graphics and same brand CPU and GPUs sometimes work in unison, AMD in Crossfire and Intel in Sli mode.

How do I reactivate it?

Try the AMD Auto Detect facility from here

Cleaned and back up the registry in CCleaner

Only advanced users should go anywhere the registry as it is the quickest way to render a computer useless, CCleaner is a great tool for cleaning up orphan files etc but GTG do not recommend the use of the registry cleaner aspect of the software.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you Diorst, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.