Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple Blue Screens (Resolved)

bluescreen

Best Answer phillpower2 , 06 May 2015 - 12:54 PM

Having looked at the Speccy log and a couple of the latest dump files (both showed the same culprit**) I strongly suspect the cause of the problem is that there are multiple Firewall/toolbar relate... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you navyblue161, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Advertisements

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

I completely understand :) There hasn't been any blue screens that I'm aware of. I haven't been messing with it as much as my friend however. She wants it back around Thursday, so I'm sure she'll let me know if it blue screens again, but so far so good. The model number is N5050. I've uninstalled Comodo and I'll wait for the antivirus like you said. It would be nice. I've booted it into SafeMode with networking. What would you like me to do next?

Edited by navyblue161, 12 May 2015 - 04:36 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
I've booted it into SafeMode with networking. What would you like me to do next?

Let us know if the notebook will actually connect to the internet - both in Safe Mode and under normal boot conditions if you will please

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Alright I tried it and it won't connect to the internet regardless if it's in Safe Mode with Networking or not.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Is that with both the wireless and ethernet connections.

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Ok so I tried it again tonight. Good news is it will connect to the wifi and Ethernet when in SafeMode with networking. However when it's booted regularly it still won't connect. It still will say connected with no internet access. I hope this helps narrow down what the issue is! Do you have any ideas?

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Not even 30 seconds after posting my last reply it blue screened again. I didn't have it doing anything aside from looking at the internet.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Phillpower2 is away for 2 days, in the meantime,

Please upload the latest dump  files and take another Speccy snapshot so we can see the present condition of the system.

Thanks.

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Alright thanks so much for sitting in while he's out! I have both of the things you asked for. Ironically enough while I was going to get the minidump file from the crash yesterday it blue screened again so I have both of those there. I wonder if it has something to do with when it's trying to connect to the internet. I say that because that's when it happened yesterday and when I was getting the minidump file it was trying to connect to wifi as I had just turned it on before.

http://speccy.pirifo...yyS65WXlnUyT13D

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for stepping in iammykyl, much appreciated  :)  :thumbsup:

Managed to find some time to catch up with ongoing threads but may not be around again today  :(

The Norton software is still present on the computer and is shown to be the cause of both of the crashes fffff880`033bd820 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`09f1d300 00000000`00000030 00000000`00000089 : SYMNETS+0x1e7bb to be exact.

As per my reply #13 Run the Norton removal tool which can be found here

Check the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red X against the wireless and ethernet devices, please do not update any drivers until Norton has been properly removed, the scheduled updates disabled, the notebook tested and the thread updated for us.

Additionally all of the following scheduled updates should be disabled;

Scheduler
6/1/2015 4:00 PM;: PCDoctorBackgroundMonitorTask
Adobe Flash Player Updater
DealPly
DealPlyUpdate
Funmoods
PCDEventLauncherTask
PowerInbox Updater
SystemToolsDailyTest
Uninstaller_SkipUac_Hail

JFYI: The reason that the internet will work in Safe Mode with Networking is because no third party software is running.

Advertisements

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

No worries just reply when you can!

Alright I used the removal tool and it was successful. I'm posting another Speccy snapshot, so if you could please verify that it is gone completely? Once I rebooted it the wifi is working in normal boot!

There weren't any exclamation points or x's in the device drivers (except my USB).

I disabled a couple of the tasks I hadn't before, but the others should've been already disabled. I did that with all of the ones you have listed now. Do they not show up as disabled? I took a picture of it if necessary.

Once this is all taken care of, the next step will be an antivirus I assume?

Thanks for all the extra explanations btw : )

http://speccy.pirifo...r2JxAWURxXzOo8e

Edited by navyblue161, 16 May 2015 - 09:25 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The Symantec/Norton software has been removed and you now have the wireless working in normal Windows mode, I would call that a result so well done  :thumbsup:

Apart from important Windows and AV software updates I don't feel that it is wise to allow any program to auto update and so apart from the Dell PCDEventLauncherTask, PCDoctorBackgroundMonitorTask and SystemToolsDailyTest I would remove the following altogether.

Scheduler
Adobe Flash Player Updater
DealPly
DealPlyUpdate
Funmoods
PowerInbox Updater
Uninstaller_SkipUac_Hail

Create a new restore point then download and install only one of the following Avast! free Antivirus to the bottom left here or MSE from here then install all Windows important updates.

You are welcome btw  :)

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Awesome thanks so much! I can't believe such a well known program causes so many problems, but I always hear about Norton being a pain. This was really extreme.

I understand completely about the updaters. The less you have going on the better for sure. I deleted the tasks altogether , so we should be set there. For some reason Avast wouldn't open to their website (with your link and when searched on Google), so I just went with MSE. She can always change it later if she doesn't like it.

Thank you so so much! You guys on this website really are the best! Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule as well!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Glad that we were able to help and thank you for the follow up and kind words  :)

You are also most welcome  :thumbsup:

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Alright I guess we're good then? I'll get the computer back to her ASAP and let you know if there are any other problems. Thanks again for being so professional and helpful! I'm glad this wasn't too difficult of a fix. I'll just have to make sure and educate her on some general maintenance as this poor system could use it. Thanks and take care if we don't end up messaging any more!