Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet sharing and General security wonderings

• Please log in to reply

f4N-

f4N-

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

First of all I just wanted to encourage the staff to keep their great job up.

Then, I have two questions.

1) I would like to know what normal people should make (install or update or anything) to make sure their computer will not be infected with malwares ?

What I believe is needed is the following:
- get all security update for the OS (I have been making this)
- have a regularly updated antivirus (I have been making this)
- have a regularly updated firewall or have a router ( I did not have neither of them)
- do not use Internet Explorer as web browser (I was using FireFox)

But what happened to me recently proved that it is not sufficient. I had trojans and virus on my hard drives that I was unanle to get rid of even by perfoming all the steps descibed in the "You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log " thread. I eventually formated my OS drive and it looks to work well so far.

So I wonder what should I do to prevent this kind of stuff in the future.

2) Since I had problems I decided to use sygate as firewall. Besides I am using Windows default internet sharing. The sharing is disabled with Sygate. I have tried many things, looked at the doc but did not achieve to make it work properly. I guess several issue like mine have been posted and answered. So, if someone can provide some thread I could read it would be nice.

Thanks for your help,

f4N-

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
1) Please have a look at my site for some tips on how to remove and prevent spyware.

2) This site has always helped me very much with my Sygate http://personal.atl....ikpe/index.html (but I always used a separate program to share the internet)

Regards,