Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win7 sytem restore issue

system restore restore previous version

• Please log in to reply

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

dbrupp,

From the log, nothing stands out as far as mal-ware is concerned.  Please keep in mind that doesn't mean your computer is guaranteed to be 100% clean from infection.

The only thing that even looks to remotely be a problem is the computer looks to have two AV (anti-virus) programs on it.  I noticed, both, AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials installed.  Having multiple AV softwares on the same machine can often cause some conflicts of random types.  While I don't know if this could be causing the desktop icon problem, it's still something you may want to look into changing.  I advise you disable/uninstall one or the other through Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features

It's up to you which one you disable/uninstall (again, the main thing is we would like for just 1 of them to continue running), personally I would probably ditch the AVG unless you paid for it.  Microsoft Security Essentials is one of the best AV programs and it's entirely free!

I will keep researching the icon issue, but at this point I have no other suggestions to offer.  :no:

Advertisements

dbrupp

dbrupp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me and verifying that there isn't any malware.  I also noticed AVG mentioned on that log even though I had removed it completly from the PC some time ago and when I go to control panel > uninstall a program AVG isn't in the list of programs. 

It's so strange that the PC reverted back to to some long ago time, but there are still some items time stamped with April 2015 in the desktop folder.  I'm really baffled by the system restore not working and think I may need to try setting the PC back to factory settings. Before reverting back to factory settings, I'll hold off for a little bit to see if you or anyone else has any suggestions.  I will try the system restore again right now.  If you don't hear back from me, it means it didn't work.

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Please keep in mind that doesn't mean your computer is guaranteed to be 100% clean from infection.

Be advised, we have a malware section with expert Geeks that could verify the presence/absence of malware.

At this point, I am not sure what the problem is.  I don't think the problem is malware... but I have no idea what else it could be.  :surrender:

If I stumble across any other ideas/suggestions I will definitely post, but if nobody else has any ideas either within the next few days you may want to make a post in malware section (click link above). 

dbrupp

dbrupp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Thank you for everything fusionbomb.  I have posted a query in the malware section if you would like to follow it http://www.geekstogo...ssible-malware/

:prop:  props to you for your expertise.  Thanks again.

-Doug

dbrupp

dbrupp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Hi Fusionbomb,

I've been doing some research and found that Microsoft released a corrupt update.  It was causing my PC to login as 'default user' even though I logged w/ my username and password.  In my Regedit, I had to make a name change in the profile list and reboot my PC to fix the issue. This is what I did just now and it resolved my issue.

Go to start and type Regedit in the search box

> click on HKey Local machine

>>software

>>>microsoft

>>>>windows nt

>>>>>current version

>>>>>>profile list

From here, there were 2 long entries starting with S-1-5-21....1000 (there are a lot of numbers in between the 21 and 1000 and they may be different on different machines).  These 2 entries were exactly the same, except one ended in '.bak' and the other had nothing after '1000'.

At first, I changed the '.bak' entry to '.tmp' and rebooted my PC and it didn't work; although, it was my understanding that should have fixed the issue.

So, I went back in to the same path in Regedit and changed the entry that ended in '1000' to '1000.tmp' and removed the '.tmp' from the other entry.

*note- because Regedit cannot have the same values, I had to change my '.tmp' from my initial try back to '.bak' then I was able to make the update.  I hope that this all makes sense and is able to help someone else who may be having the same issue.

Please close this topic as resolved.  I appreciate your time.

-Doug

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Oh wow,

Well I'm certainly glad you were able to figure it out!  I apologize I wasn't much help.  ;)

Thanks for updating us and posting your solution!