Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

explorer.exe constantly crashing

• Please log in to reply

mel_lopez

mel_lopez

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My laptop with WP Pro was infested with a number of Trojans, most notably Antivirus Gold. I've followed the steps for removal on this site and I believe everything is now cleared.

However, I'm now left with windows explorer constantly restarting itself saying it has encopuntered a problem and needs to close. Debugging causes a command window to briefly appear. Sending an error report sends (or it appears to send a report to Microsoft.) and don't send causes the screen to be cleared and refreshed, whereby within 3/4 seconds the explorer error is back again.

In task manager the CPU usage is constantly at 100%.

The application log in Event Viewer has an event ID of 1000 ana a description that says "Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2800.1106, faulting module unknown, version, 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

Has anyone got any suggestions. Please don't suggest reformating and installing.

Thanks very much.

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to GeekstoGo!

Did you read THIS?

Try updating your drivers for motherboard, chipset, sounds. Download Everest Home Edition, found just below my signature. Run a hardware report then post a HTML attachment.

mel_lopez

mel_lopez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the advice.

Winlogon was trying to load a file "q160580_disk.dll" from the c:\winnt folder.

I couldn't find any refernces to it. I've renamed it to q160580_disk.old and everything appears to be back to normal.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Mel