Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 update failures

Best Answer 6stringer , 24 August 2015 - 03:30 PM

Thought I would update this thread because last night I was finally able to successfully install KB 2952664 and KB3035583 after many months of trying everything I could find written on line about t... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

6stringer

6stringer

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

I keep getting the "failure configuring Windows updates-reverting changes" error message after Windows attempts to download and install updates. The computer will loop several times then finally goes back to the log in screen at start up.I've tried several fixes from Microsoft.com and even a few I found on Google,but I'm still getting the error message.

I searched here for similar issues and found a few so it's an apparent problem that a lot of us are having. Should I try a system restore back to several months ago? This is my wifes computer and she told me she's been having this issue for some time.

Thank you

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Try this:  Fix Microsoft Windows Update Issues

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Well that fixed 3/4 issues. Didn't fix a Windows update error so I'll try looking on Microsoft's site for a fix on this one.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• MS Fixit snapshot.jpg

Edited by 6stringer, 25 April 2015 - 06:20 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Read here: Error 80070057 when installing Windows Updates

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Well that didn't work unfortunately. Found the same 11 updates and the same one failed: code 80070643. Did mot attempt to install the other 10 updates as I've done this numerous times without success. The computer goes into the installation loop four times and will not install any updates. I'll keep searching for an answer on my end and if you think of something else I will be glad to try it.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Tried this one but it didn't work either. From reading the resplies to this recommendation it would seem it didn't work for a lot of folks!                            

http://answers.micro...9a-774e2e31dbea

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Maybe this one will help? It tells you to run SURT (System Update Readiness Toll) then SFC (System File Checker).

For XP, Vista and Windows 7:

Install and run the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT): See here What is the System Update Readiness Tool?

For Vista and Windows 7, open a Elevated Command Prompt.

Click on the Start button and type cmd.
DO NOT press Enter or click Go.
Look at the upper part of the window and you will see cmd.exe.
Right click on it and select Run as Administrator.

For XP open a Command Prompt.

Type SFC /scannow and press Enter. See if the Component store problems are fixed. Run 2-3 times if necessary.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Thanks,I'll try that. I tried another recommendation I found where you run a repair on the .NET Framework file but that didn't do it either. I'll report back what your latest suggestion does for me.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Afrer running the scan several times it found no issues. Tried installing the 11 updates and once again 10/11 were successful.When I try to install them I get the fail loop again and the culprit continues to be the 80070643 code.

Tomorrows another day!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You say 10 of 11 were successful. Did you mean that or unsuccessful?

Advertisements

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Sorry,when I click to download it tells me that 10/11 were downloaded successfully. It's when I click to install them that it fails and the changes to my computer are reverted back. So in essence,none of them actually get installed.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Did some more searching, found this:  Windows 7 Updates Fail with error 0x80070057

Lists 3 possible fixes.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Will dig into these tomorrow. Thank you for continuing to try to help with this issue.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Yet another update on this endless saga. Tried all 3 possible fixes mentioned in post #12 and none of them worked.Curiously though I could download and install all "Optional" updates using the Windows updater,but could not install any "Important" or "Recommended" updates.

Out of sheer frustration I decided to try to manually update the 14 updates that have been waiting.Over several hours of restarting my computer I have been able to download and successfully install 12/14 updates. The two remaining holdouts are KB 3035583 and KB 2837578,with the latter being related to Office 2010 (which I uninstalled a couple of days ago after reading where this was causing problems for other users).

So for now I can at least manually install most of the updates while still searching for the root cause of the problem. Not sure where to go with this as I don't want to waste anyone's time so I guess I'll keep researching it and hopefully be able to report back at some point that I found the solution.

Thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

If it gets annoying enough, consider backing up anything you don't want to lose then do a Repair Install of Windows 7.

If that doesn't fix it, which it probably will, then do a Clean Install of Windows 7 or a restore to factory state using whatever your computer manufacturer provides for doing so.