Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

converting XP to a virtual system

• Please log in to reply

khazarian

khazarian

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

I have Win7 Pro x64 installed and working on a separate 500 gb sata SSD and using four sticks of 4gb memory. In this case I want to convert my XP Pro x86(only allows one 4gb memory module)installed on a 120gb SSD to a virtual drive and copy the resulting file to the Win7 drive. The problem however is that some of the XP's applications have been installed on a separate D:\ drive. The size of that drive is 500gb. How can I make it so that when I turn both drives to virtuals whereby the XP system will run in virtual mode on the Win7 x64 system? The XP system also contains two virtual drives with Ubunbtu and Windows 2000 Pro installed. I have already imaged both the XP C:\ and D:\ drives with Terabyte Unlimited. Unknown territory here and advice is sorely needed.

Edited by khazarian, 25 April 2015 - 05:21 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

A Google search on the title of your post yields quite a few hits: converting XP to a virtual system

If you leave the D: drive in the computer then I think you can assign it as D: to the Virtual XP host guest you create then it should work just like it does now.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

I intend to convert the XP system to a virtual guest OS and have Win7 as the host machine. I'm hoping you meant Virtual XP guest otherwise I am in a quandary over your response.

Another question I have is how do verify that the images I took with Terabyte unlimited will work if something goes haywire during the XP conversion process?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Guest, not host, sorry.

I'm not familiar with Terabyte so no idea. I use Acronis or Macrium. As with any imaging program, the only real way to test the image is to restore it and see how it works. When I first started using both of them, I made and image then restored it to a different hard drive then booted that drive to test it.

Time consuming but at least that way I had confidence in my backup.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Ok, copy that. I'll get back to yer if I hit any snafus.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

I can't test the back up because the buslink external usb hdd that it was copied to won't register in devmgmt.msc. I tried the eSata interface but no dice. The access led turns on but not the power led. Do you think it could be the buslink power supply and I should replace it? An important point is that the external drive was working fine before running Terabyte Unlimited on it to copy the C:\ drive.

kind regards,

Joe Btfsplk

Edited by khazarian, 30 April 2015 - 03:31 PM.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

The external usb buslink drive is now operable but windows complains that I should insert the OS disk when I try to restore it to a blank hdd. I'll have to talk to the software manufacturer.  

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Why are you using Terabyte when Macrium Free is so easy to use and a good, solid backup program?

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Because I don't like the word macrium? But the real reason is that it is better to show support for software developers as incentive to produce more robust versions later. Terabyte will create virtual machines from physical drives, which initially was my area of interest.

Edited by khazarian, 02 May 2015 - 03:50 PM.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Clip1.png Device manager displays a yellow exclam under audio devices so I downloaded the RealTek audio drivers. Should I uninstall and reboot the device or let windows search for the drivers?

Edited by khazarian, 02 May 2015 - 03:54 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Should be able to just install the Realtek drive then it will find the device and set it up.

I need to take a look at Terabyte, sounds interesting.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I installed WDM2.71 realtek driver. I now have sound. Great! But I still can't get esata hard drive to fire even with the extra power supply. Do I need to enable AHCI in the bios maybe?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Worth a try.

When you tried the eSata connection, you had to remove the drive from the Buslink enclosure, right?

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Nyet. The enclosure is equipped to accept the esata or usb form factors. Usb interface works while the esata does not.  Changing to AHCI in bios prevents the computer from booting. I did a little research and discovered that ahci has to be enabled in the bios before installing the OS. So it looks like I am locked out of all esata interfaces unless I want to make a clean install.

Edited by khazarian, 04 May 2015 - 05:54 PM.

khazarian

khazarian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Restored the XP image using the Dos program. Also could've used Linux.