Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New question about Linux and repairs

• Please log in to reply

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok. :thumbsup:

I tried to install XP from a download and that's where the main problem began with this computer.

because of this, if you do decide to work on it again at any point, i'd zero the drive out first and even consider creating a new empty dos partition table on it before trying to install a new os to it, who knows what the bad xp download may have contained malware wise or what it did to the hard drives file system.

:popcorn:

Advertisements

Marchalla

Marchalla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I'm done working on it I just don't have the need to fix this one. Thank you for your assistance!

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

:thumbsup:

:popcorn:

imort

imort

• Pip
  • 6 posts

So I just got this laptop and it has a newly installed Linux OS on it. I worked with it for about a week then I couldn't get much software. After that I went ahead and tried to download Windows XP and it didn't turn out to well. So my system was up and going again and I found out I had a few trouble spots on my PC. My question is can I create a new partition and then release the old one and still have the Linux OS in okay shape? Is there is a way of rearranging or repairing the partion so that I can clear up any problem areas? I'm not real sure how the system can be tuned or minor overhauled to fix it. A step through of how to do this operation would be great.

Well, what exactly problems do you have with your Windows XP installation?

Maybe you didn't have proper drivers? Did you tried to install Windows 7 or Windows 8 instead of Windows XP?

Basically you also should be able to install almost any modern Linux distribution to your laptop AFTER installing Windows.

It will ask you about installing the bootloader and resizing the partitions when installing.

Then you should be able to choose boot into Linux or Windows when reboot your laptop.

So I can suggest you to try install Windows 7 or 8 first, and Linux next.