Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Experienced Tech out of sync with wireless routers.

• Please log in to reply

GooSeSmith

GooSeSmith

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

As it is stated I am an experienced tech out of touch with today's wireless routers. My n900 finally decided to take a dump on me and not work. I am currently looking for a replacement. This is my setup.

WHS 2011 Server - file server, backup, print server, media server w/ plex (wired)

Win7 Ultimate 64bit - gaming pc (wired)

Win7 Home 32bit - netbook (wireless)

Win7 Home 32bit - Desktop (wired)

Win7 Ultimate 64bit - Desktop (wireless)

2 Andriod phones - wireless

2 Vizio Smart TVs - wireless (streams Netflix and Plex)

Nintendo Wii - Wireless

Guest phones, tablets and laptops - wireless

Essentially I have my network setup with my server as my file server, print server, media server and backup server. Then I have my 4 PC units some wired, some wireless.

- Needs to have DNLA streaming ability

- VPN pass through (this is almost default on all routers now)

- Guest wireless account setups (I would like to keep house guest IT equipment seperate from my network, if worse comes to worse I can use my ISP wireless cable modem/router for wireless guest accounts)

- Wall mountable (this is very important for me) 

Please post your feedback, I don't need to most expensive router just one that does what I need to do.

Peace, love and chicken grease!

GooSe

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

I just had to replace my n900 router.  Just about any router can service your needs.  however, based on my reviews I would recommend Asus routers.  I have the RT-n66. It is a dual band n900 router and works great.  Firmware supports all the items you need and more.

GooSeSmith

GooSeSmith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Ooops my apologies I type N900 router I have a Dlink WBR-2310 Router! I guess I had N900 on my brain from reading other posts about routers.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

response is still he same.  if you want a N router or an AC router, asus is still your best choice.

If your a stats and testing kind of person, feel free to read the reviews over at http://smallnetbuilder.com/

when my router died, I had to replace immediately as I work from home.  I went with the N over the ac because bestbuy didn't have many choices for me to choose from with Asus routers.