Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU Fan Error

• Please log in to reply

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Hi All,

I have a custom built PC. I recently installed a new CPU cooling sink/fan (2 months ago). Last week, I am getting a CPU Fan error from my BIOS when booting. I can then hear and see the CPU fan clicking, though not yet spinning. I can see it make little jerking movements as if it wants to start. I see no cables or casing blocking it from spinning. If I give it the slightest touch to help it rotate it takes off and eventually reaches appropriate RPMs. 

Is this just a dud of a fan? A power issue? Motherboard issue? Not sure what to try to resolve this. 5 minutes being turn on my CPU is at 29C and the fan is running at ~750pms. I can post new heat/rpm after running my normal games, videos, etc for a bit.

Advertisements

GooSeSmith

GooSeSmith

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Sounds like a dud fan or maybe it didn't get enough lube while being built. Any fan that has ever done that to me quit working eventually. Call the manufacturer and have it replaced.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Sounds as though that is the case, bad fan and very common for BIOS to tell you (being the CPU Fan). Never try to move a fan manually, broke or not broke. True being the manufacturer of the heatsink should have a warranty, contact them through website or by phone they should be able to send a replacement fan or replace the whole unit, unless bought in a store try bringing it back there.

Edited by jds63, 27 April 2015 - 06:02 PM.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Thanks. I submitted an RMA request with the manufacturer.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Thanks. I submitted an RMA request with the manufacturer.

Your best bet, Glad to hear you were able to do that. YW

Edited by jds63, 28 April 2015 - 06:42 PM.