Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which motherboard is better for this CPU and GPU and what are it's

GPUProcessor motherboard gaming pc

• Please log in to reply

BanditPlunderer

BanditPlunderer

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Which motherboard is better for the buck and works best with this setup?

Motherboard: ASUS ROG X99 Rampage V Extreme ATX w/Wi-Fi 802.11 AC 2.4/5 GHz, Dual Intel GbE LAN, 4x Gen3 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x4,1x M.2, 10x SATA 6Gb/s

OR

Motherboard:  GIGABYTE Z97X-Gaming G1 ATX w/ Killer E2200+ Intel GbLAN, 4 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 1 x SATA Express, or 10x SATA 6Gb/s

CPU:  Intel® Core™ i7-5960X Extreme Edition Eight-Core 3.00GHz 20MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011-V3
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 295X2 Dual GPUs 8GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

BanditPlunderer,

With this Intel Core i7 Processor you are showing only the ASUS Board can be used for it, having a LGA2011-V3 socket.

2011-v3 see here http://www.asus.com/...PAGE_V_EXTREME/

Other board shows as Socket 1150 Z97 will not work for that processor and older DDR3 RAM  http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128700

ASUS board will work well,has the newest DDR4 RAM, good manufacturer and quality.Can take a look at other ASUS boards, make sure fits socket 2011-v3.

Try NVIDIA for chipset for graphics instead of AMD shown, IMHO.

Edited by jds63, 27 April 2015 - 05:51 PM.

BanditPlunderer

BanditPlunderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Thanks for the help, but why do you suggest Nvidia over AMD when the  Radeon R9 295X2 runs adequate and is less expensive? I like Gigabyte, is there one that is runnable with the processor I plan with?

Edited by BanditPlunderer, 27 April 2015 - 08:52 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Hope you  don't mind an enquiry BanditPlunderer?

What type of computer are you building, a high end gamer, or a workstation for photo/video editing?

BanditPlunderer

BanditPlunderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

No worries. High end for gaming.

BanditPlunderer

BanditPlunderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I'm a gamer and book nerd, not a tech nerd. I could take the time to learn about PCs, literally both of my brothers are tech  geniuses, but yeah I'm the unfortunate Aspergers and occupy myself in history and Science fiction books, you know, the loner child. I'm finally getting a job soon and am planning on the BIG ONE; this'll be a entertainment PC I wont be buying a new GPU  on for a while. This forum site has been very reliable and quick to respond for me so far I love it.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the feedback.

An Intel i7-4790K is as high as you need to go.   the link is for in store pickup only.   saves about $50 compared to elsewhere, useful if you are within reasonable driving distance of one their other stores.

http://www.microcent...Boxed_Processor.

I will configure a build this evening for your consideration.   

Before deciding on the GPU, AMD vs Nvidia, you will need to decide what monitor you have, or are likely to buy in the near future.   Look up G-sync for Nvidia and Freesync   for AMD. 

http://www.rockpaper...ync-amd-nvidia/

BanditPlunderer

BanditPlunderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

This is a custom build I'm getting pieced from the popular link CyberPower. My younger brother purchased his custom build from there.
Hm I'm thinking I want to swap the Intel for AMD and keep this affordably for gaming; I know this changes my thread nearly, but is AMD A10-7850K 3.70GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Quad-Core APU w/ Radeon R7 8GCN Cores Graphics the best AMD Kaveri processor AMD has to offer and will it suffice with my idea GPU? What are the pro thoughts on this-
My monitor choice was chosen because of my choice in AMD, I like to keep things organized and so I even organized brands in the bulk of my customization. The monitor is supposedly Freesync available and is the Acer XB270HU - linked here: http://www.macmall.c...CFZOLaQodxzUAFQ

Also  I don't know if this is worth noting, but  I went with a lower range water cooling for the rig.
Corsair Hydro H90 140mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate - Enhance Cooling Performance  (Single Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 140mm High Airflow Case Fan)

Is the ASUS motherboard mentioned at the top of my thread still compatible with the AMD shift? I haven't ordered yet, the plan is it'll be weeks from now hopefully before September around my birthday so I still have time to think creatively.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry for the delay. You will need to give a link for your total build before we could make comments.   

Your selected monitor is designed for use with a Nvidia GPU as it has G-sync components. 

Your Gigabyte MB from first post is Intel, not compatible with AMD processors.

Here is a an Intel build to look at, without a video card.http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9RBMdC

Alternative cases, > http://www.newegg.co...129-021:$$$$$$$

BanditPlunderer

BanditPlunderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

The posted image would be the build, but I'm going to switch the processor out for AMD.  Okay about the monitor, I've changed it to the BenQ XL2730Z  to which most definitely supports freesync and more!

BanditPlunderer

BanditPlunderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Sorry but an image of the specs are too large to post, so here
is the very long list of the bulk.
With  BenQ XL2730Z  Freesync monitor =  out to $5, 370
    *BASE_PRICE: [+1219]
    BLUETOOTH: None
    CABLE: None
    CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
    CAS: Corsair Obsidian 900D Super Tower Gaming Case w/ Dual PSU Support, 3x HDD Hot Swap Bays, Front USB 3.0 & Side-Panel Window [+284]
    CASUPGRADE: 12in Meter Light - 8 speed [+15] (Red Color)
    CD: LG 14X Internal Blu-ray Burner, BD-RE, 3D Playback DVD+RW Combo Drive [+60] (Black Color)
    CD2: None
    COOLANT: Standard Coolant
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-5960X Extreme Edition Eight-Core 3.00GHz 20MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011-V3 [+710]
    CS_FAN: Default case fans
    DOCKINGSTATION: None
    ENGRAVING: None
    FA_HDD: None
    FAN: Corsair Hydro H90 140mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate - Enhance Cooling Performance [+46] (Single Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 140mm High Airflow Case Fan [+14])
    FLASHMEDIA: None
    FREEBIE_CU: FREE! INTEL Q2 2015 GAME BUNDLE (FREE games: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, FINAL FANTASY® XIV: A Realm Reborn, GRID Autosport, World of Tanks, & LEGO® Minifigures Online.)
    HD_M2PCIE: 480GB HyperX Predator PCIe Gen2 x4 (HHHL)SSD - 1400MB/s Read & 600MB/s Write [+559] (Single Drive)
    HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD [+4] (1TB x 2 (2 TB Capacity) RAID 0 Extreme Performance [+63])
    HDD2: None
    HEADSET: None
    HS_HANGER: None
    IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    KEYBOARD: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
    MEMORY: 32GB (4GBx8) DDR4/2400MHz Quad Channel Memory [+402] (Corsair or Major Brand)
    MONITOR: None
    MOPAD: None
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG X99 Rampage V Extreme ATX w/Wi-Fi 802.11 AC 2.4/5 GHz, Dual Intel GbE LAN, 4x Gen3 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x4,1x M.2, 10x SATA 6Gb/s [+364]
    MOUSE: Gamdias Erebos Extension Laser 8200DPI 8 Button Gaming Mouse [+38]
    NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    NFC: None
    NOISEREDUCE1: Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels [+29]
    OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
    POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - Corsair RM1000 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply [+151]
    RUSH: Standard Process Time: Ship within 8 Business Day
    SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
    SOUND: * ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCIe Sound Card [+89]
    SPEAKERS: Creative Labs Gigaworks T20 Series II 2.0 EPS Speakers System [+122]
    TEMP: None
    TUNING: None
    TVRC: None
    USBFLASH: USB 3.0 Portable Flash Drive [+20] (16GB [+7])
    USBHD: None
    USBX: None
    VIDEO: AMD Radeon R9 295X2 Dual GPUs 8GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card [+555] (Single Card (Dual GPU))
    WNC: GIGABYTE GC-WB867D-I 802.11AC Wi-Fi up to 867 Mbps + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo w/ Dual Antenna PCI-E Adapter
    WTV: None

BanditPlunderer

BanditPlunderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Alright this is the order after the transition to AMD.

• BASE_PRICE: [+1189]
  • BLUETOOTH: None
  • CABLE: 6-FT HDMI Flatarrow-10x10.png Cable, V1.4, Supports 3D & 4K Resolution, Gold Plated Connector Cable [+9] (2 pieces [+9])
  • CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packagingarrow-10x10.png Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
  • CAS: Corsair Obsidian 900D Super Tower Gaming Case w/ Dual PSU Support, 3x HDD Hot Swap Bays, Front USB 3.0 & Side-Panel Windowarrow-10x10.png [+280]
  • CASUPGRADE: 12in Meter Light - 8 speed [+15] (Green Color)
  • CD: LG 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive & DVDRW, 3D Playback Combo Drive (BLACK COLOR)
  • CD2: None
  • COOLANT: Standard Coolant
  • CPU: AMD FX-9590 4.70 GHz (5.0GHz Turbo) Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
  • CS_FAN: Maximum Enermax Twister Pressure 120MM PWM Cooling Fans (Maximum Performance Operation) [+29] (500-1,200 RPM T.B. Silence Black Color with Red LED Twister Bearing 8-14 dBA)
  • DOCKINGSTATION: None
  • ENGRAVING: None
  • FA_HDD: None
  • FAN: CYBERPOWERPC Xtreme Hydro II 360mm Liquid Cooling w/ XSPC RayStorm CPU Block, Dual D5 Pump, AX360 Radiator, Ultimate Performance+Extreme Silence at 18dBA [+331] (6 x Enermax Twister Pressure 120MM Fans (Push-Pull) [+72])
  • FLASHMEDIA: None
  • HDD: 240GB OCZ SSD + 4TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo [+187] (Combo Drive)
  • HDD2: None
  • HEADSET: None
  • HS_HANGER: None
  • IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
  • KEYBOARD: AZZA Delta Gamingarrow-10x10.png Keyboard w/ Anti-Ghosting & red backlight
  • MEMORY: 32GB (8GBx4) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory [+185] (Corsair or Major Brand)
  • MONITOR: None
  • MOPAD: None
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASUSarrow-10x10.png Crosshair V Formula-Z AMD 990 ATX w/ UEFI Bios, ROG Connect, SupremeFX III Audio, Intel GbLAN, 4 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1 [+130]
  • MOUSE: Gamdias Erebos Extension Laser 8200DPI 8 Button Gaming Mouse [+38]
  • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
  • NFC: None
  • NOISEREDUCE1: Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels [+29]
  • OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
  • POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - Corsair RM1000 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply [+134]
  • RUSH: RUSH!!! READY TO SHIP IN 5 BUSINESSarrow-10x10.png DAYS [+49]
  • SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORTarrow-10x10.png
  • SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster ZXR 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCIe Sound Card w/SNR 124dB, DBPro optical output, Multi-channel surround, SBX Pro Studio, Sound Core3D Processor & Audio Control Module [+226]
  • SPEAKERS: Creative Labs Gigaworks T20 Series II 2.0 EPS Speakers System [+122]
  • TEMP: None
  • TVRC: None
  • USBFLASH: USB 3.0 Portable Flasharrow-10x10.png Drive [+20] (32GB [+25])
  • USBHD: ADATA DashDrive HD710 500GB 2.5" Portable Waterproof and Shock-Resistant USB3.0 External HDD [+76] (Yellow Color)
  • USBX: Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wirelessarrow-10x10.png N Modules [+39]
  • VIDEO: AMD Radeon R9 295X2 Dual GPUs 8GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card [+449] (Single Card (Dual GPU))
  • WNC: GIGABYTE GC-WB867D-I 802.11AC Wi-Fi up to 867 Mbps + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo w/ Dual Antenna PCI-E Adapter
  • WTV: None

BanditPlunderer

BanditPlunderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Did  I scare off the help?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Nope, been doing some research and trying to word my reply  so you don't think I am dismissive of your efforts, or rude.

both systems are being wasteful of your money as they are way over the top for a gaming rig.   having the most powerful CPU will not increase your gaming performance.

For gaming Intel beats AMD, even the i5 4690K the best AMD CPU, > The only fact we can draw from the results is that the AMD FX-9590 is inferior to Intel’s Core i5 and i7. > http://www.xbitlabs....0k_5.html#sect0  Please do more research.

You will not use more than 8GB or RAM, @ CPU default support speed.

Using any aftermarket heatsink/cooler, will void your warranty, should you need to RMA the CPU and Intel become aware of the fact, they may reject your claim, the same applies to overclocking, so you do them at your own risk.

750W PSU is more than enough for any single GPU and a fully loaded system.

The case, 2 bay PSU, 3x HDD Hot Swap Bays,  can't see the need, and you are adding $s to the base case included in the build price.

Today's on board sound is very, very good, so I would test it out first before adding a 3rd party solution.

I won't keep bashing on, if you want more help let me know, I can add things like Keyboard/mouse to my first build if you wish.