Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio stops and starts every 10 seconds (resolved)

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

When I play a URL with an audio track (for example, a Coursera lecture) I find that the audio breaks up frequently, stopping for about 1 second every 10 seconds, and then resuming from the precise stop point   --- so that none of the content is lost. But, obviously, the glitch is distracting.  Some URLs seem to be worse than others.

FWIW: My desktop is a Dell Dimension 3000 with XP. When I look at CP\Sounds and Audio Devices \Volume I see that I have a C-Media USB Audio volume control. And when I look at the Hardware tab, I see that all my components are reported to be “working well.” The major  unit is the  SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio device.

I have not been able to tweak my sound system to eliminate the problem. I would certainly appreciate help.  .... batpark

Advertisements

GooSeSmith

GooSeSmith

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

When playing audio from a URL they are more factors than just your audio here at work. The quality can be affected by your internet connection.

Please go to the following URL and test your internet connection and please post the results back here. 

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

GooseSmith: Thanks. I think you forgot the URL. Please repost it. ... batpark

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

I'm just going to guess that he meant to post this:

www.speedtest.net

Edited by Fusionbomb, 28 April 2015 - 10:01 AM.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Per speedtest.net my download speed is 30.26 Mbps and my upload is 6.13 Mbps. FWIW, on some URLs I get almost no stuttering; on others it is about 1 sec. every 10 sec.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, just because your own internet connection is running pretty fast doesn't mean everyone else's does, the server at whichever URL you are connected to is either extremely busy, or weak, or in some part of the world where local internet speeds are poor.

Can you give us at least one of the URL's you are having trouble with so we can see if we also have problems.

Nev.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Nev: This URL shows the stop-and-go I described. FWIMBW, the condition was much worse a few days ago.

https://www.coursera...course/mathphil

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I am in Australia.

All pages load in under 3 seconds.

Videos play instanly, no issues at all. 

https://www.coursera...ories=cs-theory

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
iammykyl: Thanks. I loved the Moses line in your signature  and the referenced URL. But I don't see the relevence to the problem I described. Could you please expand on your response?     

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Hi, just because your own internet connection is running pretty fast doesn't mean everyone else's does, the server at whichever URL you are connected to is either extremely busy, or weak, or in some part of the world where local internet speeds are poor.

Can you give us at least one of the URL's you are having trouble with so we can see if we also have problems.

Nev.

Just showing that I am not having issues when connecting to that URL.

What Browser are you using?

Try an alternative one and see if the issue persists.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

iammykyl and others: I have been away and only now was able to respond to your suggestion. Following iammykyl's tip I switched from Firefox to Chrome and the stuttering stopped!

Thank you all. ... batpark

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update batpark.   With FF, most likely a finflict with another program or extention.

Good to see the issue resolved.

You are most welcome. :thumbsup: 

Good luck.