Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Turn off Plug&Play?

• Please log in to reply

Xc2612

Xc2612

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm in a situation where I'm unable to obtain the drivers for the device I'm using, (it's just a simple laptop cooling pad that runs fine without drivers) however window's will not stop harassing me with "Unreconized USB Device" and simply won't let me keep it plugged in.
I tried to shutdown the plug&play feature on WindowsXP (services.exe) and quickly learned that Window's doesn't like that, and just restarts & reloads it. If anyone knows of a way around this, I'd be very grateful because I'm at a loss of what to do.

-Jon

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
That's not how you do it :tazz:

Go to start -> run, and type in services.msc and hit ok

Then scroll down until you find plug and play, right click it and select properties. Change the startup type to disabled. Then hit okay.

However, wouldn't it be easier if you just unplugged the device?