Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Creating a Web Database

• Please log in to reply

GeekU Freshman

• GeekU Freshman
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I know this is going to sound crazy, but I have never built a web database, or even a website. I am a hardware guy mostly. But non-the-less I was hired to build web databases and have to teach myself. I have googled it and even that hasn't helped me out yet. Too much info to scan through to find what I need. I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. What software do I need, ect...? I think some software requires programming knowledge, and most of my programming experience is out-dated. Please help me. My first job starts on the 22nd, and that is for a hospital.

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
Hey dhitchner,

I'm not an expert on this, but this is what i know.

There are multiple ways to create a database on the web. You can store a database in many ways: txt file, comma separated value files, excel files, etc. Concordantly, there are many softwares out there that will help you import/export data from your databse: Microsoft Acess, PostgreSQL, PHP/MySQL, Oracle.

I'm guessing you are going to store patient information (Name, Address, DOB, HMO, Appointsments, etc. ) in this databse. I would recommend looking into Microsoft Access since it comes with most versions of Microsoft Office. Also, Access probably has the least programming requirements and just like the rest of Office has a neat little 'Help' Section.

So make sure the computer at the hospital has Access installed and google some Acess Tutorials.

If anyone else has anything to add please do so. Hope it works out for you. :tazz:

• Pip
  • 1 posts

He's right... And Microsoft has quite a few pre-designed Templetes on their site

Do a Search for Access Database Templetes..

Hope this helps you.