Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Compaq Notebook Power Indicator Issue

• Please log in to reply

paulj

paulj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Got a Compaq Presario R4000 Notebook. Brand new. Wiped and loaded XP Pro on it. Used the drivers cd to reload all its correct drivers. Runs great. However, the power indication (ac power/battery power) is all sorts of messed up. It icon in the tray indicates that ac power is on (plug icon) all the time. Now, if I physically plugin ac power the screen brightness dims, and when I unplug ac power it brightens. So it appears that windows has it backwards. And there has been no battery indicator at anytime.

I've got power options set to Portable/Laptop. I tried removing the ACPI Power button device and also tried setting BIOS to default (suggested by a Compaq live support person). But did not work. I'm in IT, just to let you know, so I'm not just some novice computer user screwing around).

Any suggestions?

Forgot to mention: There's no battery configurable settings at all in my Power Options in windows xp > system > Power options.

Edited by paulj, 13 June 2005 - 09:26 AM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go Paul. It seems you've already hit most my recommendations. Is there maybe a BIOS update available for this system?

paulj

paulj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes. I installed it as well. Actually when I ran it I did not have the laptop running on ac power and I got a message from the bios update specificaly saying that it "cannot be installed when on battery power." So I then plugged the ac power back in and ran the update.

I also got on live chat with a compaq support person. They were no help at all. They went through those few methods I had already tried, and eventually simply told me that some presario models do not allow you to see a battery level indicator! They told me I was simply 'out of luck'.