Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

sabertooth 990fx r2.0 cpu led red

• Please log in to reply

kietav

kietav

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hello. Yesterday, I noticed that my PC was under performing, heating a bit more than before. I opened the case, and saw a lot of dust in the case. I cleaned it, but now my PC won't turn on. CPU led is red, and stays lit when turned on. No other led is flashing. I had a similar problem, when CPU led was red, I took CPU out blew on the socket, then put it back in and it worked. Tried that now - didn't work. I check other similar threads on this forum, but I can't find the answer. Any advice on what I can do? I tried to reset CMOS, but that didn't work. All the power should be alright. I don't know wheres the problem.
My specs: 
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 760 2gb ddr5
RAM: Hyper X 8gb stick, don't know exact model.
PSU: Cooler Master G550M
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Took out GPU now when I turn on the PC only VGA CARD led stays lit. 
Put the GPU back in after taking out battery, CPU led is back up, VGA not anymore. By the way, can't see anything in the monitor.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

only thing i can suggest is to check the cpu heatsink fan is working and is making a good connection to the cpu fan header on the motherboard.

might as well check all power cables are fitted correctly too.

:popcorn:

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Checked power cables, checked fan it's working when PC is turning on. Maybe PSU is [bleep]ed up a bit?

GooSeSmith

GooSeSmith

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

After doing some research it seems these board are having issues coming from the manufacturer. Is the board still under warranty? Have you contacted Asus about your issue?

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I have the warranty. But If I contact them  I might need to wait up to 1 months to get my motherboard back....

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Gday.

Did you inspect the CPU for bent/broken pins?

Completely remove all the old TIM from the CPU and heatsink surfaces?

Apply new TIM before reassemble?

Please download HWiNFO64 scroll the opened window to display the 12v 5v, 3,3v rails to see if they are within specs, upload a screenshot. > http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

To capture and post a screenshot; Instruction are for anyone who is unsure of the steps.. 

With the image you want displayed on the screen.
> Hold down the ALT key and Press the PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side of the keyboard.   (nothing appears to happen, but the image is copied to the Clipboard.)

> Click on start...all programs...accessories, > click paint.

In the window that opens, >  left click in the white area, then > Hold down CTRL and press V. 

On the top menu, > click File > click Save as, Be sure to save as jpeg,...otherwise it may be to big to upload,

save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing.

Preferred method  to upload a file or image to G2G. 

First, > click the More Reply Options, (bottom right next to the blue reply button.)  > Type in your text.

If the file or image already exists, > Click Choose file... (bottom left) or see the next part to capture an image.

In the window that opens, > Browse to the file or image you want to upload, > Click the file/image you want, wait for confirmation at bottom left, 

Repeat if you have more files/images to upload, > When finished, > click Reply button.

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hello, Yes I checked if there was any broken/bent pins, but there aren't any. If TIM is thermal paste, then yes I did. Yes I applied new Thermal paste before reassembling. I don't know how do you want me to upload a picture of my broken PC specs if doesn't turn on.. I'm on another PC now.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

You computer will need to be running to use HWiNFO64.

It could be a faulty PSU.   Try removing the GPU, power up and see if the red LED goes out.

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I tried. When I remove GPU, Only VGA card led lights up, no cpu led.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Without the GPU installed, there is enough "power" for the CPU, with the GPU installed, not enough for both, so looks like the PSU.

As you no longer get a monitor display, can you first try a restart and enter the BIOS, any display? 

Try the GTX 760 in the working computer, to rule it out being faulty.

Can you try a basic GPU, one that does not require any PCI-E cables. 

Can you swap in a known working PSU into the faulting computer. 

kietav

kietav

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I took my PC to service, let them do the part testing and stuff, cause I have no other PC's/parts I can use.Thanks for your help!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Not having spare parts does make it hard to troubleshoot.   We would appreciate some feedback on the results of the service test.

Thanks. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

It's been a while since we hear from you.   Do you still need help?   An update would be appreciated.

Thanks.