Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Application error when executed from a mapped drive letter.

access violation;map;unc

• Please log in to reply

johnnymusso

johnnymusso

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have an application that has been running fine from mapped drives for years.  For some reason, I can not run the application from a mapped drive any more BUT IT WILL RUN from the drive if I use the full UNC path.    It will run from C drive fine but it will not run if I share the folder on C drive and map a letter to it.    The event log shows Exception code: 0xc0000005 (access violation) every time I try to run the application from a mapped drive letter.

I have run Webroot AV scans and I have tested with AV shut down.  I have tested with firewall shut down.  I have run Malwarebytes and Spybot scans.  I have run CCleaner.  I have played with permissions and run as admin.   I created a new user profile and tested - which worked for a day but now all profiles have the same behavior. 

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit with 32mb ram.  The application is a 32 bit app and known to be stable.  This problem is not happening on other machines.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,479 posts
Hi Johnny :)

Simple question, did you try running the application with Admin Rights? Right-click on it and select "Run as Admnistrator"? A 0xc5 error code is often caused by a program that wants to do an action requiring Admin Rights, but wasn't launched by one.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Hi Johnny :)

Simple question, did you try running the application with Admin Rights? Right-click on it and select "Run as Admnistrator"? A 0xc5 error code is often caused by a program that wants to do an action requiring Admin Rights, but wasn't launched by one.

I have played with permissions and run as admin.   I created a new user profile and tested - which worked for a day but now all profiles have the same behavior. 

Edited by Alan1998, 08 May 2015 - 04:25 AM.