Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build machine - worked, now changed it's mind.

• Please log in to reply

joeRuk

joeRuk

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, put together a new PC this morning, Abit AN8 mobo, AMD64 3500, 160GB SATA HDD, 1GB RAM, 256mb Sapphire Raden X800 XL GFX card (PCI-E).

Turned on fine, booted WinXP from CD and installed fine.
Installed the GFX drivers fine, restarted to capture that and change resolution.
Worked fine.

Shut the machine down to go and get some lunch, came back to start installing App's and the thing has decided it doesn't want to boot anymore!

I don't see any POST data, I get the Abit Splash screen (press Tab to show POST and nothing happens), then the system powers down (monitor says it's been sent to powersaving, CPU fan keeps going slowly). PC Speaker gives out a contineous two-tone beep (wee-woo-wee-woo).

Haven't got another PCI-E card to swap in, wondering if it could be a PSU issue? (300W)

:tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first instinct sounds like the power supply. most new mobos and graphics cards don't like anything less than 350.

joeRuk

joeRuk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

first instinct sounds like the power supply. most new mobos and graphics cards don't like anything less than 350.

View Post

Thats what I thought, but a bit perplexed as to how it was working and suddenly decided not to?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well it could be that the power supply was enough to support the things that were installed when first built but once you finalized your install there may have been a device wanting more juice (usually the video card)

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
I'd definately agree that you should look at that PSU if its marginal in terms of wattage and rail amperage. You may also want to reset CMOS in an attempt to boot back up and I'd suggest you disable System BIOS cache, Video BIOS cache and Video BIOS shadowing in your BIOS setup.

joeRuk

joeRuk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just tried a 650W PSU with no luck, I'll have a go at re-setting the CMOS next cheers.

Edit: Re-setting the CMOS convinced it to boot again, no problems now, just wrestling with XP left to do ;)

:tazz: Thanks guys.

Edited by joeRuk, 13 June 2005 - 02:05 PM.

joeRuk

joeRuk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Need some more help on this.

Machine boots fine if I clear the CMOS, everytime I shut the machine down it won't start up again, POST gets stuck at 9.0. (AWARD BIOS takes over booting job), and the machine just idles down to powersaving, and sticks there.

I've flashed the BIOS to the most recent version, I know all the hardware (processor/GFX/HDD) seem to work becuase if I clear the CMOS the machine boots fine and runs happily.

Any idea's?

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Good News. Glad to hear it. Now you're going to need to go through your BIOS settings very carefully because you've got something set incorrectly. First step is going to require going through your motherboard manual's section on the BIOS. Read it carefully and follow the recommended settings. Next, you can head to a site like Adrian's Rojakpot which will give you very detailed information on the BIOS and all those things that sound foriegn to you right now. If you really want to jump into it, he also provides paid subscription access which is even more detailed - best BIOS site on the internet - bar none.

My first suspicion would focus on your memory timings but do your own homework on this first. Holler if you get stuck but follow the above first.

Regards,

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hmmmmm,

the machine just idles down to powersaving, and sticks there.

I don't see any POST data, I get the Abit Splash screen (press Tab to show POST and nothing happens), then the system powers down (monitor says it's been sent to powersaving, CPU fan keeps going slowly). PC Speaker gives out a contineous two-tone beep (wee-woo-wee-woo).

Any chance this is cpu overheat, or the bios thinks so try and disable cool'n quiet

Rick