Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hp class lawsuit

• Please log in to reply

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I got a formletter informing me I'm a member of a classaction against hp because of their failure to provide me w/ an xp cd and something about an invisible partition on my harddrive concerning the recovery program.It says there is a loss of usable memory and other such jargon.My question is should I be concerned? As a newbie this system (hp 512n xp 2 ) has been not only enjoyable but the ease of use has been great.I've reinstalled many components and after 2 systemwide meltdowns xp was a snap to reinstall w/out the cd.I'vegot my safetyware and optimizers and use the defrag weekly.Should this class action be of concern?Thank you all in advance.

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Hi there,

HP computers are fine and shouldn't cause you any worries. If you make the recovery discs like HP recommends, you are perfectly safe.

The reason people are doing this classaction against HP is because you are buying a liscensed Windows copy but don't get the CD... so your liscense of XP is basically stuck on that one hard drive. There is also a partition (I wouldn't really call it hidden) for recovery (in case your computer crashes). Some people don't like this as they would rather use this space for other things, but for the average user it is fine.

Hope this clears it up :tazz: