Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless router email problem

• Please log in to reply

nditt

nditt

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am new to networking, but apparently not alone here.

I have a wireless 2.4GHz broadband Internet connection which works fine when connected directly to the computer.

When connecting through my wireless router, Linksys Wt54G & latest firmware, the internet connection works fine but I am unable to connect to the ISP. I cannot connect for email or can I go to their website via the internet.

I bought a Belkin router and it had the same problem. So I bought the Linksys, same problem. Linksys tech support is worthless and I have found no experts to help me.

It is as though there is an IP filter in the router. Everything works perfectly through the router except the connection to my ISP. I have programmed and reprogrammed the router and it won't fly.

Pleas help. :tazz:

Advertisements

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Hi nditt, Welcome to GTG !!
What is your ISP??
Does the wireless connection work??
if not, did you setup a SSID on the Linksys site??
Have you been able to browse the ISP website before the router??

nditt

nditt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Everything before the router works fine. I can connect to the ISP, both at the website and the email site.

The wireless connection works fine, except for the ISP connection. I have a notebook that acts exactly like the desktop. Both are able to browse the internet with no problems, just not the ISP.

Thanks for the help.

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
What is the address for your ISP??
WWW.??????????.Com??

nditt

nditt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
battleswireless.com

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
I have a WRT56G as well and I get to the site fine.
When you setup the router did you change any of the default NAT firewall settings??
Have you changed your browser security settings??

nditt

nditt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm not sure what the NAT security settings are. But I have disabled the firewall in the router. I use Zone Alarm and AVG and have disabled both of them with no change. I have reset the router several times with no change.

Browser security options is set to default.

But the router works fine with the exception of connecting to this one site. Could it be something to do with my IP vs his IP? But if that were true, operating without the router wouldn't work either.

My ISP has told me that other users have the same trouble and that he can't figure out why.

If you can access the site, it has to be something to do with my IP, in conjunctin with the router. I have a static IP address. Could it be that the router is working as a proxy server of some sort and that the ISP won't allow that type of connection? Maybe that isn't even a possibility.

TNX

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Well im here at work now and I can still get to it.
What is the message you get when you go to www.battleswireless.com??
If others are having a problem as well, I think the site has something set wrong!!

nditt

nditt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Here is the error message:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.battleswireless.com', Server: 'mail.battleswireless.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Interestingly, when I first hook up the router, it all works fine, I can access email and the website, for about 3 minutes and then it stops allowing access to the ISP.

Thanks,

Neil

nditt

nditt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Some additional information.

I have tried to ping the ISP and the computer pings the router but never gets beyond the router.

I tried pinging at the router and it indicates that it too, is pinging to the router and never gets beyond.

I tried Trace route with the following results:

Traceroute Test
IP Address or Domain Name:
traceroute to mail.battleswireless.com (192.168.0.100), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 10.2.14.1 (10.2.14.1) 12.299 ms 6.370 ms 10.990 ms
2 10.2.10.1 (10.2.10.1) 20.178 ms 11.309 ms 40.638 ms
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.

The router IP address is 192.168.1.1 and this test indicates that the ISP IP is 192.168.0.100 . Something doesn't jibe here. How can I determine the IP for my ISP and if I knew it could I try getting this address through the router some way?

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Unless you have purchased a static address from your provider, then the external interface on your router should be set to Obtain IP automatically. That will give you a public ip address, the subnet mask, and the default gateway, along with your dns servers information. If you have purchased a static address from your ISP, then that information should have been documented and given to you from them.

Ok, now, when you say battleswireless, I'm assuming that they are using some type of "high-powered" wireless device that is small and white, and about 15 inches long that sits with or without a little dish mounted on your home? I have installed systems very similar to that setup. The company that I install for doesn't allow pings accross the network. It also gives two different sets of IP addresses in order for your network to work. You get one for your computer/router, and one for your device. The wireless devices would be the 10.?.?.? ip addresses. The 192.?.?.? address are your internal network. If you go to your router's setup pages, you should see a status tab, in there, you should see an ip address assigned to the router, it SHOULD NOT be a number such as 10.?.?.? or 192.?.?.? or 172.?.?.?, This should be a public IP address that you use to access the internet.

Please post reply before I continue..

Greazy Mcgeezy

nditt

nditt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
My ISP provider tells me that my IP address is a Static IP.

Battleswireless is indeed a wireless provider. They have a 2.4GHz system on a tower in my back yard. The antenna/transceiver are contained in a 10 X 10 inch box mounted at about 30 ft on another tower next to my house. (Retired after 50+ years as a radio technician)

The IP that they gave me is the one that I plugged into the "Internet connections Properties" of windows. It is indeed a 10.10....number. The automatic setup program that came with the router, took this address, gateway and DNS settings and sent them to the router and set the windows properties to "Obtain IP address automatically".

The IP address listed under the Status tab of the router is the same as the 10.10...IP address listed in the basic setup.

I guess I don't understand the what a Public IP address is or where it comes from. I could not find anyplace in the router setup
that allowed "Obtain IP automatically."

I certainly appreciate the help. Up to now I haven't been able to find anyone who had a clue to what is going on with my system.

Neil

Edited by nditt, 14 June 2005 - 09:35 PM.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
After going back and reviewing the entire post, I hope everything is still "just the way it was". You state that you CAN connect to the internet, browse web sites, etc..., but you cannot connect to your ISP's website? or email?

The ping part is explained in a previous post. For some reason, it seems common that wireless providers such as battleswireless block the ping request/reply. That should not be an issue. I suspect that you are having a DNS problem. Here are a few tests we can run to find out:

From the command prompt:
type ping www.battleswireless.com (the www. is VERY important in this case)
Even though you can't actually ping out, it should still give you a name resolution. You should get this number: 206.80.76.20

If you do, then you need to make sure that when entering the address in the browser that you MUST enter the www.battleswireless.com

If you do not get this address resolution, then you possibly have out of date DNS information on that site (less likely). If that is the case, try from the command prompt:
type; ipconfig /flushdns

Then retry the previous step.

Please repost with results

Greazy Mcgeezy

nditt

nditt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried pinging while connected directly to the modem and received the positive results from 192.168.0.101. (Which seems odd, since the router IP address is 192.168.1.1 and it was not connected.)

I then connected the router and immediately tried pinging with the same results, (from 192.168.0.101) [Normally the traffic through the router will work fine for about 3 minutes after initial connection or changing the settings of the router]

After the three minutes, I tried to ping and got a time out and the same IP address of 192.168.0.101.

I ran the DNS flush and got the same time out message.

The number you mentioned is mighty close to my DNS address setting.

Edited by nditt, 17 June 2005 - 08:17 AM.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok, do you know how to use the web interface on your router? If so, go there, and you should see a page labeled "Setup" (or something close), there you should see the configuration settings for two different interfaces, a WAN and a LAN. Since you are using a wireless provider, you are probably manually assigned an IP address from them? If so, manually enter the information for the WAN interface. If they did not give you an IP address to assign manually, set the interface to "Obtain Automatically". If the LAN interface is set to 192.168.1.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, you should have an option there that enables you to use the router as a DHCP server. Check to see if that is enabled, if so, does it show what addresses it is supposed to be handing out? You will want your machine to have an IP address of 192.168.1.? (? = any number except 0, 1, or 255).. That goes the same whether you get it automatically or if you manually assign it. With the exception of the WAN interface, you will want to have every subnet mask to be the same 255.255.255.0, and on all of the machines (not the router) you will want to have default gateway and dns set to 192.168.1.1.

Try to ping google from one of the computers now.

Greazy Mcgeezy