Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Exciting new build :)

• Please log in to reply

infinity124

infinity124

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hello everyone,

I am deciding on a new system build and would appreciate all your feedback :)

CPU: i7 4790k 4.0 Ghz (Turbo 4.4Ghz, LGA 1150, 8M Cache, 88W)

http://www.amazon.de...=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

http://ark.intel.com...-up-to-4_40-GHz

MOBO: Asus Maximus Ranger VII

http://www.amazon.de...=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

http://www.asus.com/...MUS_VII_RANGER/

RAM:

EITHER

Corsair DDR3 PC2400 16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance Pro Series Red PC3-19200, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 11-13-13-31, XMP, 1.65V

http://www.scanmalta...400-memory.html

http://www.corsair.c...6gx3m2a2400c11r

OR

Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz 1.6V

http://www.amazon.de...#productDetails

GPU: 4GB Gainward GeForce GTX 970 GDDR5 PCIe 3.0

http://www.scanmalta...video-card.html

PSU: Corsair 750W CX 

SSD: Samsung 250GB SSD

As a CPU Cooler I was thinking of using my recently bought Zalman CNPS-9500A

Thanks again !

Edited by infinity124, 01 May 2015 - 04:31 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Hello again infinity124,

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Before commenting on the above components we need to know what the main use of the computer will be, if only for gaming for example an i7 CPU and 16GB of Ram would be overkill and a waste of financial resources, if you post the main intended use, the maximum budget, the country in which you will be making any purchase and any parts that you may already have that you may be able to reuse to help keep the build costs down.

Can I also mention the following, the following are missing from your list, an OS such as Windows 7/8/8.1 - 64-bit, DVD drive, HDD and computer case.

Be careful when considering using a third party CPU cooler with a CPU that ships with a stock HS and cooling fan, see canned text below for as to why;

The warranty details provided by Intel are somewhat vague and using a third party cooler does not automatically void your warranty but please be aware of the following;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including  accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions,  misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper  testing;

Full Intel article here

With the above in mind I would suggest that you first try the stock cooler provided, if you later decide to use a third party cooler because you are unhappy with the performance of the stock cooler please be aware that you use any third party cooler at your own risk.

FWIW: Having asked an Intel representative the question regarding third party coolers voiding the Intel PIB three year warranty**, the answer was no it does not directly void the warranty, Intel CPUs returned under warranty will be subject to inspection to determine if the processor failure was the result of incorrect installation of the processor and/or the cooler or usage outside of the recommended Intel guidelines such as extreme overclocking.

** Transcript available if required.

MB, CPU and Ram compatibility should be confirmed before you purchase, the i7 CPU at your link for example is compatible with DDR3 and DDR3L 1333/1600 at 1.5V whereas the Ram at your links are 2400MHz and 1.65V (see below) you are far better to have out of the box compatible hardware that is capable of being overclocked, the latter only if you intend to overclock by the way and I only mention this to try and cover all bases  :thumbsup:

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Thanks for your informative reply :)

I checked compatibility between CPU's and RAM and apparently it's fine, 

I will be using PC for some gaming - When I have the chance i want to be able to play a good game with good graphics (my reasoning)

as for your questions:

I already have a Full ATX Case which I will be using

As a CPU Cooler I was thinking of using my recently bought Zalman CNPS-9500A

SSD: Samsung 250GB SSD

For the optical drive, I will be buying a normal DVD drive just in case I will be needing it.

As for Windows, I was hoping you could suggest what I should use as I don't have that knowledge on OS's.

Thank you very much :)

Furthermore, the PSU I sent 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Hello infinity124,

I checked compatibility between CPU's and RAM and apparently it's fine, 

May I ask where this was checked, the Intel specs here state a max of 1600MHz

I already have a Full ATX Case which I will be using

Is it a brand name, if yes can you post the brand and model name or number so that we can check the specs to ensure compatibility with all parts and the amount of cooling fans etc.

I will be using PC for some gaming - When I have the chance i want to be able to play a good game with good graphics (my reasoning)

As per my reply #2 for gaming an i7 CPU and 16GB of Ram would be overkill and a waste of financial resources.

As a CPU Cooler I was thinking of using my recently bought Zalman CNPS-9500A

Are you not bothered about the possibility of voiding your 3 year Intel warranty, if not I would suggest that you purchase an OEM CPU that does not ship with a stock HS and fan, this will allow you to use any compatible cooler that you like and save you a small amount of cash, the downside of this is that OEM CPUs typically only have a one year warranty that is provided by the merchant from where you purchased the processor.

SSD: Samsung 250GB SSD

I would suggest an SSD for the OS and your most often used software/games but you should also add a minimum of one 1TB HDD for data only storage.

For the optical drive, I will be buying a normal DVD drive just in case I will be needing it.

A wise decision  :thumbsup:

As for Windows, I was hoping you could suggest what I should use as I don't have that knowledge on OS's.

My preference is 64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 7 is still outstanding but support will end before it does for Windows 8 and 8.1, keep in mind that the release of Windows 10 is not far away so if you presently have a full retail version of Windows 7 I would use that until the final version of Windows 10 is released.

Furthermore, the PSU I sent 

A great PSU but let us see what else is available for less cash.

If you post the maximum budget and the country in which you will be making any purchase we can put a suggested list of parts together for you.

You are welcome btw  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Not heard back from you infinity124, do you still require assistance, an update would be appreciated.

infinity124

infinity124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Argh I just wrote a long reply but it didn't let me post it.. A brief summary of what I wrote:

Thanks for your help as always

I couldnt reply because I had some exams, but in the meantime I bought the majority of components from amazon.

RAM Speeds can be OC'ed from the XMP profiles in the BIOS and the cpu speeds are pre-ddr which are written twice per clock.

Case is Xclio a380

Re CPU Stock cooler - I found some articles which stated that they are tested on a normal clock with normal processes in the background. If I set cpu to turbospeed (4.4ghz) with advanced processes I will have very high temperatures:

http://www.tomshardw...ock-cooler.html

http://www.tomshardw...1897/4790k-hot.

Your opinion regarding the SSD is very valuable and effective - I will put the OS and basic programs on the SSD while other programs on the HDD

Re OS - I will probably go for the 8.1 or 10 if possible.

I will keep you updated regarding the hardware and pc build but would appreciate any feedback regarding the OS and other software.

Thanks again :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

No point in me nagging you about the i7 CPU and 16GB of ram being overkill if you have already purchased them but I will add a couple of other pointers for you;

If you intend overclocking and using the Zalman cooler protect your rather expensive CPU with the Intel Performance Tuning Protection Plan, details here

If you have not done so already add a rear exhaust fan to your case to help get rid of the hot air from the inside of the case as efficiently as possible.

Go with Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit now and you will qualify for a free upgrade to Windows 10 for the first 12 months of the Windows 10 release date.

You are welcome, again :)  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Not heard back from you infinity124, do you still require assistance, an update would be appreciated.