Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SD Card Corrupted - Help Please!

Best Answer phillpower2 , 17 June 2015 - 11:49 AM

Good to hear that you have had some significant success with the data recovery and a job well done on your behalf for that   TBH Im not sure that I would use the same SD card after what y... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Gregg123

Gregg123

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Hi Guys,

I have had good results from this forum before, so I was wondering if someone could help me again!

I have a SanDisk 32 GB SD Card that I use in my Canon camera. Obviously this takes a lot of photos, so sometimes it can be months before I need to remove the pictures.

Anyway, I had a few hundred on there and one day in the Office I urgently needed to store some files, so I used the SD card. There didn't appear to be any issue - I copied the files when I got home & put the SD card back in the camera, everything was fine.

Then 3 days ago I took a load of pictures at a gig - no issues, and all the old photos were on there.

Anyway, when I came to take them off the card, a few weirdly named folders had appeared & no pictures - although all the old Word & Excel docs I had put on there were still there. When I put the SD card back in the camera - it is telling me no data, everything is gone!

So, I used Wondershare Data Recovery - and I can see a lot of pictures on there, however all the files are showing as Corrupt.

Help - is there any way to recover all of my lost photos :(

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Give Recuva (free) a try, download from here

Lack of free space and wear and tear on the card through use are two possible causes, if you are able to recover your data once done I would suggest that you try formatting the card to see if it comes up clean and then saving random - non important data to it to see if the issue repeats itself.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you Gregg123, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Hi,

Sorry for the delay - I was on vacation & stayed away from internet & phones for the first time in 10 years. Quite liberating!

OK, so I downloaded Recuva - initially it located 543 files. When I recover them it says that 541 were fully recovered, and 2 not recovered because of an I/O device error.

However, the files it is recovering are old 'deleted' files. As I said - there are hundreds of photos on there that I wanted to move to my PC. They all seem to have disappeared. They were never 'deleted' as such - just don't appear to be showing up anywhere.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Doesnt look promising I'm afraid  :(

Can you post a screenshot of the SD card properties for us;

Click "Start," "(My) Computer" and right-click the removable device icon, select "Properties" from the pull-down menu, a window will open showing the specs of your SD card, grab a screenshot for us;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, as well as following Phillpower's advice, one thing I was reminded of by a different thread regarding SD cards, if your card has a data lock switch on the side, make sure it is fully in the unlocked position, if it has moved slightly, those switches can give all sorts of odd results.

Nev.

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Ok, here you go. Regarding the name of the Card - I don't remember if I named it at any point, but if I did it wouldn't be called this!

There are a lot of folders inside that have strange names as well - so I am thinking some sort of corruption. Also, the word & other documents I put on there for storage are still there - can I remove them without doing any damage?

I found a couple of other programs, trying to find things to help with corrupted data rather than recover deleted stuff because that seems to be OK:

http://www.sdcardpho...reedownload.php

Also something called Remo Recover.

Would either of these be any use - not a problem to purchase them, but I don't want to buy something that will only do the same job as Recuva.

Re the data lock switch - I did check this before, its OK.

Cheers,

Gregg

SD Properties.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Corrupted files is a strong possibility and is bad enough but not knowing what has corrupted them is even worse, there is plenty of free space on the card but can I ask if anything has been deleted and has the card been inserted in any other computer other than your own.

Cant vouch for the recovery software that you ask about but would suggest that you try EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free 

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Thanks for this. I am travelling again & don't have the card with me - will report on the success when I am back in a few days. Any advice on using the EaseUS software? Obivously the free version only can recover a limited amount - I will search for only the pictures so that videos etc don't take up all that limit. But it might only recover the stuff I have already recovered that was deleted?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

I also asked;

there is plenty of free space on the card but can I ask if anything has been deleted and has the card been inserted in any other computer other than your own.

Can you answer the above for us.

Using the EaseUS software is self explanatory and I`m sure you will have no problem using it, it may as you suspect only recover what you have done previously and it will not be able to access data that is corrupt if that turns out to be the case here.

Advertisements

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Hi,

Well I only experienced problems when it was plugged into my laptop, and I deleted nothing - although quite a bit appeared to delete itself at this point! Is that what you need?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

The reason why I asked if you had deleted anything on the card and if the card had been used in any other computer was to see if there was a possibility that the data on the card had become corrupted as in the card being almost full which can corrupt data on it or malware on any other computer that the card may have been used with, the latter would need to be checked by the malware experts as it is out of my remit I`m afraid. 

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Hi,

Sorry for the delay - I am back now & keen to get this resolved. I have tried the EaseUS software, it was showing that it was finding a lot more than Recuva, but of course wants me to upgrade.

I have looked through all the Directories that it located, using the Preview feature - and I have seen my pictures again for the first time since I lost them!!!

So, I guess that I need to upgrade to download everything?

One question - there appears to be a few pictures that only half display, I would guess deleted & part over-written. Do I have to assume these are gone forever?

The final question - I found this site: http://www.recoverfab.com/price.php - could these people recover any more or any better than what I have?

Thanks Again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Honest answer is that upgrading is a choice that you must make as we cannot guarantee the success of any third party recovery software or service I'm afraid.

Deleted & part overwritten data is most likely corrupt beyond repair.

The testimonials for Recoverfab look good when you read them but the truth is that no data recovery service can or will guarantee 100% successful data recovery, if they did they would leave themselves wide open to lawsuits for not fulfilling their promises.

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

OK, so I paid for the upgrade & thought this would be my final post with success!! However, even after viewing the pictures I wanted in the 'Preview' feature within the EaseUS software, when I download the pictures to my laptop I am unable to open any of them!

So, I did another scan - the same software on the same SD card & I am getting a different result! The Folder that contained the photos is still showing up - but now Empty!

Any ideas  :upset: ??