Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help! major video problem?

• Please log in to reply

nrk1121

nrk1121

• Pip
  • 2 posts
first off here are my specs:
processor- AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3400+
video- RADEON X800 XL Series (pci express)
mobo- nForce4-A754
memory- 1gb 333/400mhz
os- windows xp x64 edition

when i first built my new amd 64 bit comp, everything was working fine, until the other day i was playing a game and the power supply died. at first, i figured that all i would have to do is replace the power supply and everything would work fine. well, everything did work fine exept for one thing, when i would play games, everything would appear to be running in slow motion. this was in every game, and even in the ati demos i downloaded. i checked all the video card settings and everything looked fine. in the process of trying to fix it, i found that if i change my bios settings to "optimized defaults" every thing would run normally, but the computer would crash randomly when playing games. but when i set the bios to "performance defaults" everything would slow like before, but there would be no comp crashes. i compared all the settings in "optimized" to "performance" but had no luck in finding what was causing the problem. so i assumed that something must be wrong with the hardware. i went and got a brand new motherboard, cpu, and video card. after a put everything in, reformatting, and getting new drivers, i still had the exact same problem. so i did a memory test on both sticks and came up with no errors. i tryed putting in one memory stick at a time, but no luck. i checked the harddrive for bad sectors. after trying all that and replacing almost all of the hardwire, reformatting, and reinstalling the drivers, i am completely out of ideas.

any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Your power supply may not provide adeqaute power thus some components wont be able to function as well......like your graphics card
,if it doesnt get enough power it wont work...... For your setup i recommend over 400 watts of power

ps where did you get 64-bit XP

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
This could have to do with a number of problems. can you please down everest <http://www.lavalys.c...?pid=1&lang=en> and post the full specs on your comp that you get from the program so i can better assess the problem.

nrk1121

nrk1121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the help, the problem was a combination of things, but the power supply was causing the random shutdowns.

btw, i bought my OEM copy of windows xp x64 edition from frys electronics. you can also download a 180 day trial from microsoft. http://www.microsoft...tion/trial.mspx