Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

?Possible Router Issue?

• Please log in to reply

CntryLuvinGrl414

CntryLuvinGrl414

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
:tazz: I recently got a wired router to share cable internet with my mother-in-law. I connected the cable to the cable modem and then connected the router to the modem and then our computers from the router. All was fine and dandy the first couple of day and then it started kicking us offline. The only way to possibly get back online is to power cycle the modem and router. Is there any cure for the disconnection? Can I do something to get it to stop booting us?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the only thing i can think of off hand would be an ip address confllict. are the pc's using dhcp?

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I've also seen this type of problem with several residential routers. When they get hot/overloaded, or just plain out decide to take a break they will stop. On the linksys model I have, I was having that problem. It was something like a Linksys BEFSR41 or something like that. I would have to push the little reset button and wait until it came back on. You may want to try a few different suggestions. Have you tried a firmware upgrade for that model?

Greazy Mcgeezy

CntryLuvinGrl414

CntryLuvinGrl414

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
:tazz: Sorry, I have been away for a while, thank you for your responses. I am unsure what was meant by if we are using DHCP. I do not know what that is. As for the other comment, they are not going out all together. It is that they will be working and then all of the sudden they won't work. To get them to work again we have to do a power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds) on both the router and the modem. Again, this is not a definite fix.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Well, there could be several factors as to why it's doing that. One, like I said above, could be overloading/heat. Also, too many collisions on a smaller residential router could possibly cause it to crash. Have you ran the Malware and Spyware tests on all of your computers to make sure they aren't infected and generating entirely too much traffic on your network? Also, if you know how to access your routers web interface, there should be an option somewhere in there that you can use to log the messages on the router. Try turning that on and saving it to a file, when it does it again, maybe you could either review yourself, or post the file here and we may could see it gives clues as to why its crashing.

Greazy Mcgeezy

CntryLuvinGrl414

CntryLuvinGrl414

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
We have ran spyware and malware programs with nothing being picked up. I do not know how to get onto my routers web interface. If you can tell me how I could try, someone also told me that if I change my IP address on the router it may help, too. They said that my router and modem could be on the same IP address, is this true?

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
If you are getting some connection, this could be a possibility but I doubt it. It still couldnt' hurt to change your internal network settings.

Depending on what make and model router you have, it can be a different default IP address. Your best bet would be to refer to the documentation that came with the router. The router should have 2 interfaces, internal, and external. Each interface will have a different IP, and they should be completely different. More than likely, your internal network should be getting an IP of 192.168.?.? Your external IP would depend mainly on your ISP and how they route the traffic to/from you. You need to make sure that the cable that is connecting the modem to the router is a standard patch cable, plugged into the WAN port on the router, and the LAN port on the Modem, (that prob doesn't make much sense). The modem is designed to be plugged straight into one computer, or can be plugged into a router. If it gets plugged into one PC, then that PC will get assigned a public IP from the ISP. Now, if the cable connects the modem to one of the LAN ports on the router, then the first computer that gets plugged into another LAN port on the router will receive the public IP and the second pc will either get the same IP and cause problems, or won't get an IP at all. If it doesn't get one at all, the first computer should still be fine. If it gets same IP, both will disconnect.
To get into the web interface of router, just simply type the IP of the internal interface on the router into an Internet Explorer address bar. Then, refer again to the manual to determine default username and password. Once inside, you want to make sure the DHCP server is on. Make sure the external (WAN) interface is set to "Obtain Automatically", and then release and renew the IP addresses on each PC. If they get 192.168.?.? addresses, then you should be good to go.

Greazy Mcgeezy