Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Invalid Boot.Ini file

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that should rebuild your boot.ini file....

then we can concentrate on the other issues.

Advertisements

goatman69

goatman69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
When I did that it said it couldn't find that file? So I put a space after D: and it came to the setup folder. I clicked on setup, but it wouldn't let me setup because it said I had a newer version of windows that what the cd had?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.tweakxp.c...icle153115.aspx

ok,
download the above, and burn it to a cd and use that to reboot (a recovery console on a cd).

do you know how to burn an iso?

goatman69

goatman69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I think I got my Invalid Boot.Ini problem fixed. I have another topic going in the malware forum. I just typed in the boot.ini into the boot notepad and it seems to work. I have really appreciated all your help. Glad to know there is somewhere to go when you have a problem. Thanks again

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I was reluctant to suggest that since I do not know your harddrive configuration and doing what you did can render your system inoperable

goatman69

goatman69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I hope you didn't take it as me saying you wasn't any help. You were extremely helpful also. I should have given you my hardware config beforehand. Just hope if I ever have any other problems, you will be willing to assist me with them. Thanks again

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no i did not take it that way at all...it's difficult to guess how advanced different users are....recreating the arc paths in a boot.ini file is a more advanced skill, especially do the inconsistancy in identifying controllers

what with 0 equalling the first device for some settings and 1 equalling the first for other things....you can hoarke up a pc....