Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install hijackthis on xp

• Please log in to reply

bmr

bmr

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

Let me just say I think your site is great and feel very fortunate to have found it.

I recently downloaded the hijackthis executable to a removable device since I can't connect to the internet and tried to install it on one of the spyware laden computers that I am working on. When I tried to do so, McAfee detected and removed the executable because it said it was spyware. I was worried that I downloaded the wrong one, so my question is why can't I download it? The reason that I was attempting to do this is because I've been attempting to remove spyware from 2 computers and need all the assistance I can find. I am running web root's spy sweeper, and spy doctor. I was unable to install McAfee spyware. The outstanding malware I have is cws websearch toolbar and trojan.backdoor.hackdoor.d. on the one computer running xp. I'd like to install it on the other computer running 2000 to make sure it is clean also. When I run web sweeper and McAfee antispyware it comes up clean but I was at this point before then connected to the internet on that computer and got clobbered instantly. Any help would be appreciated. This is my third week of wrestling with this.

I do have my own computer that I can access the internet with and it is clean so I do have some means to access any downloads you may suggest.

Advertisements

Dr Superb

Dr Superb

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
To get rid of CWS, get a program called CWShredder from download.com

To install Hijack this, just disable McAfee antivirus if that is preventing you from installing HJT.

OSC

OSC

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 301 posts
Hi bmr,

Update the virus definitions in McAfee and it will stop detecting hijackthis as a virus. That was a bug with that particular version of McAfee's virus defs. Once you get Hijackthis downloaded, post a log in the Malware Removal forum and we'll be glad to help. :tazz:

Thing'e'

Thing'e'

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'd just like to add it is best to run any scans for anything in safe mode. Run all the spyware programs you use (also get CWShredder to be sure) in safe mode and then once you've cleaned your pc using all these different pieces of software you should restart into normal Windows. This information may not be useful to you at all, but we've got to eliminate all possibilities (oh, and other people may find the post handy too!).
Keep us informed!