Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ad-aware se personal


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

#1
pcraig

pcraig

    New Member

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Since dowloading the new version of Ad-Aware Se Personal, it no longer allows me to retrieve new definition files. When I click on the link for web updates, I receive a message saying "error in retrieving data." I've uninstalled and reloaded the new version at least 5 times now and still find the same problem. My computer system in Window XP home/professional. Anyone with any ideas on how to correct this problem?
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
starjax

starjax

    Global Moderator

  • Global Moderator
  • 6,609 posts
well I have a proxy that i sit behind. when it first starts the update process it hangs and does nothing. I then hit cancel and it immediatly downloads and installs the updates.
  • 0

#3
don77

don77

    Malware Expert

  • Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hi and welcome pcraig
You can manually download the latest defs
See Here

Scroll down to "Updates Available"

Good luck
  • 0

#4
pcraig

pcraig

    New Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I understand that it is possible to update manually, but my question is: what do I need to do to correct the current installation of the new version so that it will allow me to update automatically. Having to go to Lavasoft every other day to check if there's a new definition and then manually loading it is a real pain, plus risks not being updated against newly developed malware if I forget to check.

Ad-Aware always provided automatic updates in the past, and a friend who loaded the new version on their computer (Windows ME system) is not experiencing the same problem on their computer. Since they loaded the same new version, Ad-Aware continues to update the new definitions from the status screen. It's just not doing it on my computer; hence the message "error in retrieving update."

I am trying to find out why it is not doing the same thing on my computer. I have checked all the proxy settings against the usual default ones after using the installation wizard. Nothing seems wrong that way. so I am stumped about what more to try. I'm not that advanced, computer-tech-wise and so I'm a bit frustrated. The link that used to be on the Lavasoft site to the support forum doesn't seem to work; it just loops me back to their home page. They won't answer questions about the freeware version so I'm stuck. I guess I'm going to be forced to purchase their pay version in order to get any help with this.

Edited by pcraig, 15 June 2005 - 08:44 AM.

  • 0

#5
Guest_Andy_veal_*

Guest_Andy_veal_*
  • Guest
Are you running Ad-aware SE 1.06r1?

Subscribe to Definition File Update Notification: http://www.lavasoftn...list&l=dfnotify

Edited by Andy_veal, 14 June 2005 - 10:15 AM.

  • 0

#6
pcraig

pcraig

    New Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your suggestion, Mr. Veal. I followed the link you gave, but it didn't resolve the issue.

It really seems to be a problem centered somehow with my computer system set up. I went to the submission site for notification from Lavasoft that you provided. I got a confirmation message after submitting, saying that I was already subscribed. So clearly, I should be able to update automatically through the "live webupdate" link, but it is just not happening.

Does anyone have a clue what might be interferring with the retrieval process of the updates? Someone wrote earlier on the forum about a problem their brother was having updating since he was disabled as the administrator on his computer. His brother, more computer saavy, was taking care of that role. Could this be the root of the problem I'm experiencing? I've never paid attention to "administrator's rights." It's never come up as a problem before, but perhaps the new version requires this to install. I haven't any idea how I would do this.

And, yes, I am running the version "build 1.06r1." That's what downloaded when I went to the freeware link provided by Lavasoft. Is there a problem with this? I noticed the difference in number, but assumed it was just that this is the number for the freebie build.

Edited by pcraig, 15 June 2005 - 08:41 AM.

  • 0

#7
pcraig

pcraig

    New Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Don't want to needlessly take up people's time. Just a note to say that I've resolved the problem. After reading some posts on other forums, it seems that a number of people have had the same problem, and it turned out to be that my firewall was blocking the new version from accessing the internet.

So thanks to the people who responded to my request for help.
  • 0

#8
don77

don77

    Malware Expert

  • Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
pcraig your very welcome,
Thank you for the input and how you resolved the issue hopefully it will help others.

As this topic is resolved it will now be closed, should you need it reopened for any reason please pm a member of the staff

Good Luck
Don
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP