Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trojan infection [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Aniketos

Aniketos

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey guys I got a trojan from two unknown sources. I figured out the file from one source on the internet, and deleted it.

The second source came from an infected xp cd a friend gave me. However on his scanning the cd nothing came up. I rid of the cd cause the thought of my whole OS being a backdoor is uneasy. Yet I scanned every day and nothing came up

I formated the two partitions that the trojans were on, the other two partitions were saved cause I had a lot of homemade movies and dvd movie files

Question:

Am I still at risk of anything left over if those two partitions were saved?

What is the best software for removing viruses and trojans

Can DVD files be infected?

Sorry if these been asked before I am a noob to this site

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

There is no one antivirus software that can detect everything. Usually we ask users to use a specific one to target a specific trojan/virus.

If you want to scan the partitions, try using the online virus scan at Panda.

If you want to scan the CDs/DVDs, either use your own antivirus or get the following one:
Download Ewido Security Suite at http://www.ewido.net/en/download/ and install it. Update to the newest definitions. If you have trouble updating, you may do it manually at http://www.ewido.net...wnload/updates/

If you don't have an antivirus program, get a free one that I like called Grisoft AVG.

Aniketos

Aniketos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanx for replying I will give it a shot

my trojan was this Generic BackDoor.dr (Trojan)

so your saying that dvd files can be infected too?

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
That Generic BackDoor.dr has a low security threat, but should be removed (if you stil have it detected).

so your saying that dvd files can be infected too?

I can't rule it out, but it's not very likely. Is this just a dvd rip and burn? If so, you should be ok. If you downloaded it, then .... anything can happen I guess. So far, I don't know of any viruses that infect dvd files. But for the CDs, scan them if you wish.

Aniketos

Aniketos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no my files were homemade movies and dvd movie rips

I only ask cause somewhere DVD as an exe or zip can be infected

but thanx again I will try out your links

Edited by Aniketos, 13 June 2005 - 01:31 PM.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
I see what you mean. Viruses can travel in many ways, so if your machine was infected during the time you created the DVD, I suggest scanning it just in case it contracted the virus also.

Test out the scans and if you have no further questions after scanning them, post back so I can close this topic.

Aniketos

Aniketos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanx

well now i am confused cause the one generic trojan came from an xp cd a friend gave me, but when I scanned it nothing came up. I told him about the cd, and he scanned his copy. Nothing came up

So if this trojan was embedded in the system, even with the highest updates how couldnt it not be dectected

and I run tests on the dvd files, nothing comes up but after failing to detect the first one from teh cd, how do I know that I am truely done with this trojan

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
If it's a common one, it will be detected. Did you by any chance disinfect the file in your system already? It may be that it's in your computer and not on the CD.

What scans did you run? Which program/method (online?)?

Aniketos

Aniketos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yea the first one was deleted but then something kept coming up, thats how I traced it back to the cd, yet my friend copy was scanned, nothing came up.

Before I formatted the two partitions

I ran mcafee and housecall.

Only housecall dected the trojan while mcafee did not

after the format

I ran NOD with house call so far nothing has been detected

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
So any problems now?

If you want to have one more check, I highly suggest using Grisoft AVG. It's a free program (for personal use) and does a good job at catching trojans. Make sure you don't keep more than one antivirus on your computer though. Otherwise they might cause conflicts.

If nothing else is found, I think it's safe to say that you are clean.

Any other problems/questions?

Aniketos

Aniketos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i am doing good now thanx

all scanning from different antiviruses are negative. Seems formating did the work

is that ewido security suite an antivirus program, could I have it running with NOD

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Yes, you may have it running with NOD32 if you want. According to Ewido, they are compatible. :tazz:

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. ;)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.