Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost HD's

• Please log in to reply

bokgobalik

bokgobalik

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I stupidly was trying to install 98 SE on a different hard drive using my main system,
(another post) I removed both existing hd's and intalled a new one. I had a error message come up during install concerning my primary ide controller. I stopped the install and replaced my hd's. Now my BIOS shows no hd's attached, though it did boot up once. My two cdrom drives show as being on the secondary ide controller. Any ideas
as to repair my mistake ?

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Sounds obvious I know but check all connections between motherbord and hard drive.
Also check the jumpers on the hard drives are located correctly.
If still no joy, then try a replacement ribbon cable.

Thing'e'

Thing'e'

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
It sounds as though you might have mixed them up so one is set is slave instead of master?
Do what Les said and make specifically sure the jumpers on the hard drive are all located correctly, because if they're not then it won't work.

bokgobalik

bokgobalik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
All the jumpers and cables are fine, I looked in my BIOS and checked to see if my ide channels were operating and both were enabled. I reset my motherboard back to factory defaults and that had no effect. Do you think a
BIOS flash would repair the damage ?

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
How do you know the ribbon cables 'fine' ?
Try swapping the one from the CD units to the HDD's.
Another thing you could try is to plug the HDD's into the other IDE controller (where the CD's are now) and see if they show up in the BIOS.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Are the hdd's being recognized in BIOS??

If the hdd's are jumpered Master/Slave, are you connecting the Master drive to the end of the IDE cable and the slave to the middle connector??

Murray

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Most likely you have both hard drives set to either slave or master, or you're using the wrong cable. In my experince the best way to connect hard drives is to use an 80 pin atapi cable, it has a blue, a grey and a black connector, and use the cable select setting. Not all older systems support this and not all hard drives work well with the cable select setting though. :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Most likely you have both hard drives set to either slave or master, or you're using the wrong cable. In my experince the best way to connect hard drives is to use an 80 pin atapi cable, it has a blue, a grey and a black connector, and use the cable select setting. Not all older systems support this and not all hard drives work well with the cable select setting though.  ;)

View Post

If they are putting the same hard-drives back into the same original system, then why would they need to go to an 80wire/40 pin connection with Cable select when they were working just hunky-dorey before?? :tazz:

Murray

bokgobalik

bokgobalik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
All I did was take the two original hd's out and placed the new hd in after checking to see if the jumper setting was correct for the new hd to be the master. After removing the new hd, I placed the original hd's back, I didn't change any jumper settings and put them back on the cable the same way.
The system booted up, the locked up when I moved the mouse. The system then rebooted and during post, the bios said nothing was installed on the primary ide. It also said the same thing when I went into the BIOS and tried to
reset back to factory defaults

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
I have to ask this, but you did ground yourself prior to reaching inside the system right??

And you did turn the power off to the system as well right??

The only thing I can see right now is that you have the connections on backwards.. The red-stripe on the IDE cable MUST go to Pin 1 on both systems!!

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 13 June 2005 - 04:56 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

If they are putting the same hard-drives back into the same original system, then why would they need to go to an 80wire/40 pin connection with Cable select when they were working just hunky-dorey before??  :tazz:

Murray

View Post

You're right. My bad! Actually, I had a similar experience to his. I recently upgraded the bios in a computer I use for testing HDs and doing prelim setups and I was curious to see if the upgraded setup (Award bios, Tekram mobo) would be able to see drives larger than 32gb. I tried a 40gb drive and it picked it up just fine, but when I put an 80gb drive in it sort of disordered the IDE controller's mind. It had a yellow tag in Device Manager, I had to put a smaller drive in and go through the setup panels and put everything back to auto and boot up a couple of times to get it working. Everything is fine now and it's successfully detected several drives since then.

BTW the bios upgrade was well worth the small amount of trouble it took. The system is a lot snappier and more stable. Got it from the Tekram website for that board. ;)

bokgobalik

bokgobalik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Let me state again, the ribbon cables are plugged in the right way. The jumper settings are correct. I was grounded and the power was turned off. The bios can't see anything on the primary controller and can see everything that is placed onto the secondary controller. I can place the hd's (by the way, I use 40GB as master and a 160GB as slave) on my secondary controller and boot up fine. I can place my two cd's from my secondary controller to the primary controller and they are not seen. I have checked to see if my controllers are enabled in the bios and both are. I have reset back to factory defaults and the primary is still not functional. Any Ideas?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You have not mentioned the motherboard.

I have had cases where the auto detect function of the drive controller fails when swapping drives--it thinks the old drive is still in there.

Try switching the drive detection scheme to cdrom, or manual, save, then reenter bios and then back to auto

Or, if your motherboard supports manual, use the information of the drive or the from the drive manufacturer to set it up manually.

phoenix5

phoenix5

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I appreciate the fast reply. I have tried that. The only thing I can think of was I removed the two hd's from my ribbon cable on the primary and put a new 80Gb on as the master. I was trying to load 98se onto that hd. At some point durring the install, a message came up about installing the primary ide controller. I made the mistake of clicking cancel. Needless to say, I messed up. Could this have something to do with the primary being deleted or missing ?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, I am confused...who are you? are you the same guy who started this thread?