Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lost HD's

• Please log in to reply

phoenix5

phoenix5

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm sorry, I started a different thread, with a different topic, not to confuse the two and forgot the log out. Is this proper ?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i dunno....just confusing.

so....what, where are we?

Let's back up for a second. When you boot your computer, does windows attempt to start loading, and then stop, or what?

I think most people have been laboring under the impression this is a hardware problem by your initial description, but what you've added here changes things.

This drive was in this machine, then placed in another machine, then placed back in this machine?

At one point, the WINDOWS setup said it wanted to install a primary disk controller (driver), you said no?

And now, you start windows and VERY early in the process, it craps out?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is this windows 98?

phoenix5

phoenix5

• Pip
  • 5 posts
sorry for the late reply, the job comes first. The operating system I use is xp pro. I was having problem with another machine accepting the 98se install. I took the hd out of that box and put it in my xp pro box, where I tried to install 98 se on the hd. It was set up to be the master. During the install of 98se, a question of installing the primary controller popped up. I have never seen this in any installs I have ever done, I made the mistake of saying no to that pop up. The 98se install would not continue after that, so I removed the hd and put my original hd's back into my xp pro box. When I booted the xp pro box, it booted all the way up. When I moved the mouse to open an application, the machine locked up. I pressed my reboot button and first saw that there was nothing displayed under the primary controller. I went into the bios and checked to see if the primary was disabled. I checked to see if I could see them manually or on auto. Neither showed up.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
boy, this is hard to follow

remove the drives---all of them.

restart the computer without any drives.

the pc will complain, but that is ok.

Now add back only the harddrive.

does it detect it now?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I appreciate the fast reply. I have tried that. The only thing I can think of was I removed the two hd's from my ribbon cable on the primary and put a new 80Gb on as the master. I was trying to load 98se onto that hd. At some point durring the install, a message came up about installing the primary ide controller. I made the mistake of clicking cancel. Needless to say, I messed up. Could this have something to do with the primary being deleted or missing ?

View Post

Why don't you rerun the 98se install again, you may have to reformat the disk to do it, and when the prompt comes up to install the primary IDE control choose yes? That ought to get it back for you. :tazz: